Chapter 28.

Harry's POV

"She's finally somewhat stable... she's lost a lot of blood." I heard Madam Pomfrey whisper through the door, "I don't know what did this, or who, but she is beat up pretty badly. Her parents should be contacted immediately, and possibly law enforcement." Her voice echoed through the room, I don't know why they put me outside the room. You can hear everything in this castle. They lowered their voices and I could no longer make out what was being said, so I slid down on the floor against the wall waiting. A wait I couldn't do much longer.

I should have been there. This wouldn't have happened if I didn't say anything about a break. We would have been together.

I pressed my fingers to my temples and put my head between my knees, fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck. I closed my eyes and brought my head back up smashing it on the back of the stone wall, I growled and rubbed the back of my head. I pulled my hand away quickly, glancing at the blood still covered all over them. I stared at my hands that were covered in her blood, there was so much, when you look at a person you never think that they are holding that much blood in them.

"Potter?" Professor McGonagall's touch to my shoulder caused me to jump, she frowned and looked at my hands. "Come, lets clean you up. Yes?" She asked slowly rising and holding her hand out, I shook my head refusing to take it and getting up from the ground.

"I'm sorry, there's too much..." I said looking back down at my hands, she put her hand under my chin and raised my eyes.

"I know." She said opening the large doors to the infirmary and directing me to the sink, she turned the faucet on and helped me scrub my hands. Normally I would insist I do this myself, but as we arrived to the sink I realized I hadn't moved an inch. I was frozen as I watched the blood run down the drain in the swirly circles it does. Professor McGonagall removed all of the blood, even from underneath my fingernails. She made sure there was no trace of Lucy. Once she was done she grabbed a towel and dried my hands off and sent me behind a curtain, there were pajamas sitting on a stool.

"It's not a shower, but I know you want to see her. I didn't want you to do that in those." She pushed her glasses up from the bridge of her nose, I nodded and closed the curtain. As I began removing my clothing my shirt was almost glued to my chest from her blood drying up, I threw my head back to look at the ceiling and not the bloody clothing or my body that was probably covered in her.

I pulled the blue striped pajamas over my body and opened the curtain back up, holding the bloody clothes in my left hand. I handed them to Professor McGonagall without breaking eye contact, the swiftly pulled them away from my grasp and dropped them into a bin. She then turned to me and put both of her hands on my shoulders.

"You did well Harry, you know that don't you?" She asked staring at me intensely with her blue almost grey eyes, I watched her with confusion.

"What did I do?" I asked in shock. I did nothing. If I had done something it would have been knowing where she was and knowing something was wrong immediately, not two days later. If I did well, Lucy wouldn't be sitting in the infirmary at all.

"You found her for a start, you and Hermione took matters into your own hands and found her. While you shouldn't have entered the forest..." She scolded lowly and squeezed my shoulders harder, "If you hadn't entered... I'm afraid she might not have made it. She was hypothermic and didn't have much time left, but because of you, she's alive. Your body warmth kept her alive, Harry. You saved her life." She smiled lightly showing her small wrinkles around her lips, I bit my lip and sighed looking down at my fingers I was fiddling with.

"This wouldn't have happened if I had just been with her like I normally am..." My voice croaked and I shook my head with disapproval. Professor McGonagall wrapped her arms around me and pulled me in for a long hug, her body was warmer than mine, or Lucy's. Once she pulled away she placed her hands on my cheeks.