Chapter 10: The truth

A few months passed. Not much time, considering I'll be living forever. 
I've been doing a lot of housework for Shalltear in the past months, I've gotten to know almost all the guardians a bit better, and I've found a good friend in Tuare. We've spent a lot of time together these months, always talking and laughing. 
My relationship with Shalltear seems to have improved, but it's nothing more than one on a...professional level. 

She probably still sees me as her human pet or something. 

I've found out thanks to her that Gauff and mum are happy that I'm no longer with them. 

Better, everybody goes their separate ways and nobody has to get hurt again. 

Today is also my free day. 
Overall, I'd say these months went by pretty smoothly. 
"So do you think you've settled in well enough by now?" 
"Yeah, I think I have, Tuare. Now that I'm over all the drama of my first days here, I think I've settled in good." 
I wink at Tuare and take a sip of tea, then I look up at the ceiling and find myself smiling.
"Mark? Are you there?" Tuare asks amusedly.
"Ah, yes, sorry, I was lost in my thoughts." I answer and shake my head.
"You looked like you were infatuated, more than lost in your thoughts, but sure." Tuare says and lets out a small laugh.
"Who me? Infatuated? I don't think I have the capacity to love anymore." I say half-joking. 
"You keep saying that, but I don't think that's true…" She starts and gives me a knowing look. 
"What do you mean?" 

I really don't know what she means. 

"You know very well what I mean, Mark." Tuare answers and finishes her tea. 
"N-no, I actually don't…" 
I let out a small laugh and finish my tea as well, then I put the empty mug on the tray in front of me and I look at Tuare tilting my head to the side.
"Then you're surprisingly stupid or innocent." Tuare says and laughs happily. 
"What?" 
"You'll figure it out soon enough. For now, don't worry about it." Tuare says, then she gets up and walks out of the room, taking the tray with her. 

Oh, alright then. I have no idea what just happened, but sure. 

I get up as well and exit the room, then I find myself in a pretty long hallway. 
"So if I go right, I should find the gateway to the 7th floor...and then go down 6 more floors, and I'll be there...I think…"  
"Precisely. But what are you doing here on the 9th floor?" A voice I know says behind me. 
I jump for a second in surprise, then I turn around and take a look at the tall, black haired woman in front of me. 
"I could ask the same to you, Lady Albedo." I say politely. 

She seems to look at me like...a cute puppy or something. She's amused by me, that's it. And even though me and her get along, she clearly acts superiorly. 

"That is true...I am just visiting Sebas to give him a message by Lord Ainz." 

Okay…

I shut up for a second and yawn covering my mouth, then Albedo raises an eyebrow and looks at me annoyed. 
"I was expecting you to tell me what you are doing here." 

Right. 

"I...was visiting a friend." 

That's all I'll say, if she wants to know more she's gotta ask. 

"Who? The human Sebas brought here?" 

Yes. 

"Yeah...why?" 
Albedo shrugs and starts walking away in the same direction as I'm supposed to go. 

Okay…

I start walking as well, with my hands in my pockets, a few meters behind Albedo. 
"Just come here and walk beside me, otherwise I feel like I'm being followed." I hear Albedo say after a minute or so. 
So I trot next to her and keep up with her walking speed. 

I feel very awkward. 

"Hmm...you feel disappointed, don't you?" 

What? 

"I don't know...about what?" I ask feeling a bit confused. 
"About Shalltear." 

Eh? 

"E-excuse me?" 

I look up at Albedo and raise an eyebrow, then she shakes her head slowly and shuts her eyes, with a grin. 
"You really are stupid, aren't you?"

What the fuck?

"What? Why?" 
"You're trying to make Shalltear love you, that's why." 

WHAT?! 

"Eh?!" 
I stop walking and I feel myself blushing a little. 
I take a very confused look at Albedo and her grin grows a lot wider. 
"Are you trying to play dumb here?" She asks pleased. 
"Wh-what? N-no, of course not…" 
"Then answer me. What are your intentions towards Shalltear?" 

Good question. Very good question. 

"I...don't know. I just want to make her understand I'm not some...toy, that she can play with." I answer and cross my arms. 

"Well, you've already succeeded at that. Are you sure you don't want more?" 
"Even if I wanted...more, that wouldn't be possible. I swore my loyalty to her, now she's...my queen or something. And Ainz Ooal Gown is my king. And he's also Shalltear's king. So...she'd be my princess or something?" 

Albedo's grin grows even wider, and a knowing expression forms on her face.
"You're quite funny, you know." 

Okay, sure. It seems I'm funny or amusing to everybody here. 

"And may I know why?" I ask and tilt my head to the left. 
"It's because you don't even know what your feelings are." Albedo says and her expression turns normal again. 
"Those aren't news for me. I've had...a hard past. And I don't have many good feelings left to spare…" 

Dammit, now I'm getting emotional. 

I look down for a second and wipe my eyes, then I clear my throat and look back up. 
"Hm...right, you're a human. I forgot humans are very susceptible to childhood traumas." 
"Actually, I wouldn't say I had a childhood at all, but I see what you mean." 
Albedo and I both start walking again, and we finally reach the passage to the 7th floor. 
"Let me ask you a question, before you leave." 
I nod and gesture Albedo to speak up. 
"The question is simple...but the answer isn't. If Shalltear at some point heard you had a crush on her, what would you do?" 

Excuse me...what the fuck?! 

"What?!" 
"You heard me. So, what would you do?"
There's a very amused and pleased smile on the demon's face.
"I'd tell the truth." I say decidedly.
"And what would the truth be, Mark Redfang?" She asks imperiously. 
I take a resigned look at Albedo, then I turn my back and head to the portal in front of me. Before going in, I turn my head and look at her behind me.
"I don't know."