Chapter 31: A debt to fulfil

"Very well. Shalltear Bloodfallen, by the powers given to me, I sentence you to...death."
After the King pronounces his sentence, everybody bows their head and nods. Except Albedo, she's standing beside him. She clears her throat and does a theatrical gesture of her hand.
"So has been decided by our King." She proclaims. 

She sure likes being the King's lackey, doesn't she?

I take a deep breath and find the strength to around and take a look at Shalltear. The person who ruined me.

She's broken. Shattered to pieces. 

"Your majesty, if I may…" I start, raising my hand. The King turns his attention to me, bringing a hand to his chin. With the tail of my eye, I see Albedo's calm and peaceful expression changing slightly.

Well I guess I managed to catch her attention.

"What is it, Mark?" The King asks me. I make a big effort to keep looking him in his eye sockets, as Albedo narrows her eyes in disapproval.
"Let me take Shalltear's place." 
At that, the succubus narrows her eyes even more, and the King suddenly gets up. I hear murmurs of surprise coming from behind me.
"Kid, are you insane?!" Lupusregina yells from behind me.
"No. She didn't manage to drive me crazy, I don't know if fortunately or unfortunately." I answer calmly still looking in the King's eyes. 
"Tell me your reasons." Ainz says imperiously and sits back down. 

Alright...this is the point of no return. There's no point in me staying alive anyway. I've had horrifying nightmares since I've woken up.

"There is but one reason, your majesty. As I've mentioned before, I have a life debt towards Shalltear. Let me repay this debt to her, so I won't die with regret." I explain and take another deep breath. Strangely, I don't feel very nervous or scared. I've been ready to die my whole life, and that moment had to come sooner or later.
"M-Mark…why are you doing this…"

But I'm not gonna say that hearing Shalltear's devastated voice doesn't hurt.

I turn around and walk across the room, stopping in front of Shalltear and laying a hand on her shoulder. 
"I owe this to you. Please don't make this harder than it already is." I whisper so that the others can't hear, with a smile, and take my hand back. 
"Don't do this, Mark…don't send your life to shit because of me…" 

Is she trying to guilt trip me?

I close my eyes for a second and try not to cry, and fortunately I manage to hold back. As I find the strength to look at my boss again, I let two simple but meaningful words slip out of my mouth.
"Too late." 
I turn around and walk back in front of the throne, feeling more and more convinced of what I'm doing, strangely.
"Why would you want to take Shalltear's place?" Albedo asks with a tone full of disdain.
"I owe it to her. Plus…there's no place for a broken and traumatized person like me in this world. And in Nazarick, for that matter. I've grown sick of living by now. And…if I'm going to die, I might as well die for somebody important." I explain. 
"Mark Redfang, I will ask you one more time. Do you wish to relieve Shalltear of her punishment, enduring it yourself?" 
I nod in response. 
"Kid, what the hell are you doing…" 
As I look behind me, I see a familiar face approaching me. Her long red hair, her big yellow eyes are unmistakable.
She takes a slap at my face, then she hugs me with all her strength. And she doesn't let go. 

Ah, I really didn't need this right now. I don't even feel anything.

I hug her back, trying to hide the fact that I'm completely emptied of any feelings.
"Take care of yourself…okay?" I whisper and take a very deep breath.
"You're unfair…" She mutters, almost angry at me, then breaks away, stepping back.
"You stupid boy…why did you have to say yes.." 
I also get a hug from Tuare.