Chapter 56: New training: β

And here we go. This is the last day of my special training regimen, and if I go by exclusion…

"Hey there kid! Aren't you excited you're gonna fight me?" Lupusregina yells ruffling my hair. 
"Hey, don't do that. And yeah, I'm pretty thrilled, to be honest. I've fought with you several times, but never against you. I can't wait." I answer smiling, and sounding quite sure of myself.

While I actually am not.

"Oh, and you know what the best thing is gonna be? Lord Ainz has taken interest in your training, after watching your other fights from his office, and he's decided to personally be a spectator today!" 

Oh, you have got to be kidding me.

"Yeah…now, after discovering that he's been watching all my fights, and after discovering he's gonna personally be here to watch us, I am freaked out!" I point out, getting a chill down my spine. I then scratch the back of my head and let out a long and exasperated sigh.
"Good! This will be easier for me then! Just remember to oh my gosh there he is!"
Where there was nobody just a second ago, Ainz himself appears, with his staff in hand. He exchanges some words with Cocytus, Aura and Mare, then he turns to Lupusregina and me. He walks up to the two of us so Lupusregina and I kneel down. 
"Get up, this isn't the time for bowing. It's the time for fighting. I have been very thrilled with seeing your performances these days, Mark. I hope you will make this worth my while, since I'm here to watch you this time." 
I get up and smile slightly with a nod, feeling that my hands are shaking.
"I will, Lord Ainz." 
"Very well. Cocytus, give the signal when you're ready." 

Ainz steps back and places his hand on his chin, carefully observing the situation. Lupusregina steps a few meters back as well, drawing her scepter. I draw my sword and get in fighting stance, taking a deep breath. 

Here we go. This time, I'll win.

"Begin."

I'm not going to make him tell me twice, for sure.

I charge head-on and start clashing my sword with Lupusregina's scepter. I swing, slash, thrust, I don't stop, I'm in a battle frenzy. I let out a small laugh for every blow I take at her, and I keep advancing. At some point, she disappears in front of me, so I jump back and close my eyes. 

Focus…you can't see her but you can sense her…she's gonna attack any second now…

"Gotcha!" I shout as I turn around and block her attack. I then take a swing at her as she's still unbalanced, and she's kicked back a bit. But no blood. She must be resistant to metals.

Except silver. 

"Not bad!" 
Lupusregina throws a fireball at me, but I answer with a bigger one, making both our attacks explode in mid air. 
"Hey, stop copying my moves!" She yells and takes a jump towards me, hitting me with her scepter. I'm kicked back a few meters, but I manage to stay on my feet. I wipe some blood off my mouth, pouring it on my sword and lighting it up as usual. 
"You hurt me. It's my turn to pay back the favor." I say calmly and start attacking her, completely frenzied. I don't stop, I keep dancing around Lupusregina, with the sword whirling around me and sparks flying off. 
"This is fun!" I say in a crazed tone, as I throw a hammer kick at Lupusregina making her fall on the ground on her back.

I've never felt so alive during my previous fights…what does this come from?

Lupusregina jumps up and probably heals herself, then she starts fighting back, and she manages to stick one of her scepter's spikes in my chest. I let out a scream of pain, and steal Lupusregina's weapon from, hitting her in the belly with the handle and taking her breath away. 
"Hah hah…" I chuckle clenching my chest and taking a look at my friend. I put away my sword and draw my knife, with a wide grin, and I keep chuckling. 
"What are you laughing at?" Lupusregina asks as she stands up, keeping her guard up. I throw her scepter behind me and take a step closer, shaking my head to keep myself conscious. But then,I don't even see her striking at me, I just feel a stabbing pain in my belly and I'm sent flying back, landing on my right side. 
"Gah…nice move…" I say, standing up slowly and painfully.

Lupusregina seems to be focusing for real now. Her expression is serious and she seems more aware.
"...But now it's my turn." 
I point my right hand at her, and I'm supposed to launch my usual energy spear, but instead, some knives made of red energy pop up, three of them to be precise, and they stay close to my hand. I bring my arm closer to take a look at them.

I have absolutely no idea what these are, and I guess there's only one way to find out. 

I point my hand at Lupusregina again and the three knives fly in her direction at a surprising speed. She dodges one and blocks another, but the third one pierces her shoulder. 
"Aaahh! That's…s-silver! You piece of shit!" 

Wait, silver? I didn't know those were silver…how are those silver?! They're made of red energy! At least, as far as I know…it's the first time I come across this weird spell. 

"N-no, wait, I didnt-" 
"AAAAAAAHHH!" 
Her nails grow into claws, and her yellow eyes get illuminated with a terrifying light. She's so quick I don't even see her, I just find myself on my back, with a warm and wet sensation on my chest, along with an excruciating pain. 
"You…silver…why…" She growls furiously, towering above me. I take a look at her left hand, and see her claws are stained with blood. My blood. 

She's completely out of control, but the others don't really know what is going on. Dammit…

I get up and spit some blood out of my mouth, trying to keep my eyes open. 

She hit me hard…the cuts are deep…and I think she slashed so deep she reached a lung…it's almost impossible to breathe.

"You used silver against me…knowing very well who I am…you could've KILLED me! You insensitive and childish idiot…you only wanted to win…" 

Fuck, this is bad…

"N-no, please, listen to me…" 
I raise an arm to shield myself, shutting my eyes, and the next thing I know I hear the sound of metal piercing skin, and Lupusregina's scream, and finally a thud. 

No, no…I didn't…

I open my eyes and see Lupusregina laying on her back, with one of those red knives sticking out of her belly. The blade then dissolves. 
"Fuck…Lupusregina, answer me…" 
I crawl to her and lay a hand on her cheek, seeing that her eyes are closed. There's a small flush of blood coming out at the edge of her mouth. 
"Lupusregina…I'm…" 
I stop talking as I feel my mouth filling up with blood, and I spit it out, getting dizzier and dizzier.

I'm losing consciousness...this is all kinds of bad. I wanted to win at all costs, and things turned out for the worst. I might have killed Lupusregina...and I might die as well. At this point, rather than waking up again and having to face the consequences of this fight, I prefer to die...and leave nothing behind.