Chapter 17: On the name of her creator

"Kid is that you?" 

She's surprised, I don't blame her. 

"Hello there...um, how do you want me to call you?" I ask looking at Lupusregina interrogatively. 
"Oh, Lupusregina's fine!" She says smiling very broadly. 
"You sure?" 
"Yeah!" 
"Alright. And yes, it's me. I made this myself with my victim's clothes and some other things before coming here. And Shalltear gave me these." I explain holding out my hands and I smile lightly. 
"It looks cool, I like it! So are we ready to go in?" 
"Thanks! And yeah, I'd say we can go." 
We both get in the throne room and after a good minute of walking we get in front of the throne and kneel down. There's only the king sitting down and Albedo standing by his side. 
"Lupusregina." 

Every time I hear his voice, I get goosebumps. 

"Yes, Lord Ainz?" 
"You and Mark here were tasked with scouting the woods around Nazarick and eliminate any hostile humanoid creatures found there." 
"Yes, Lord Ainz. We searched around the whole forest 4 times." Lupusregina says proudly. 
"Good. Did you have to kill anybody?" 
Lupusregina takes a quick look at me, and does a slight movement with her head. 

I guess I'm talking now. 

"Your majesty, we found two hostile humans who were planning to kill me. They probably received some info from eventual survivors of the fight during the previous day." I explain without tripping on my words. 
"Did you kill them?" Ainz asks. 
"We battled one each. Lupusregina killed her opponent, and I took the liberty of carrying mine here to Nazarick where I...tortured him." 

I feel a bit worried. Maybe I should have asked first.

"Hm. Is that human dead now?" 
"Yes, your majesty, I'd say he's very dead." I answer. 
"Good. I don't mind about my servants torturing their enemies, but in your case you should have let Shalltear know." The king says and switches his attention to Lupusregina.
"If I may, your majesty, I did as soon as I got back. I was going to leave the human to her, but she was kind enough to refuse and let me give vent to my selfishness." 
King Ainz takes a quick look at me and nods. 
"Good. Then there is nothing you should worry about. Where did you get your...new clothes?" 

Yeah, he noticed too. It's kinda hard not to notice them after all. 

"I made them myself, your majesty. It'll be...my battle uniform." I say blushing a bit. 
"I see. You did a good job with those. Lupusregina, Mark, you both did a good job today. Now, for your rewards...Lupusregina, is there anything you'd like to receive?" 

Rewards? Oh yes! 

"Lord Ainz, you're too kind! I don't deserve any gifts from you!" Lupusregina says happily. 
"No, you deserved it. And so did Mark." 
"Th-thank you so much, your majesty." I stutter. 

A gift...what could I ask for? 
I think I've got an idea, but I'm not sure…

"Mark? What would you like?" 

Oh is it already my turn? I was a bit lost in my thoughts. 

"Your majesty...if it's not too much to ask, I'd like a weapon." 
"Hm...then I will let Cocytos know. He will help you with choosing what suits you best." 

Oh God I'm so happy! 

"Thank you, your majesty. Your kindness is wasted on somebody like me." I say convinced. 
"Mark, you will meet Cocytos in the armory in an hour. I want the two of you to do a small patrol of the woods every day, from now on. It will be in the morning. How long does it take to check the whole forest carefully enough?" 
"About two hours, Lord Ainz." Lupusregina answers. 
"Hm. I will communicate the details to you as soon as I can. For now, you're free to go." 
Me and Lupusregina both get up and walk out, and as soon as we're outside the throne room she starts jumping up and down. 
"I'm so happy!" 
"Me too, to be honest." I say and find myself smiling. 
"We make a good team you and I! I'm glad Lord Ainz chose me for this task!" She yells and pats me on the back really hard. 
"I'm glad too, we do make a pretty good team." I think to myself. 
"Anyway, I'll be going now. I'll see you later at the armory!"
She disappears again and I find myself alone. But not for long, since Shalltear pops up in front of me after a few seconds. 
"So how did it go?" She asks with her usual sassy face. 
"Great! It turns out the king liked our work so much he's making us do it every day, and he even told us we could get any gift we wanted!" I say happily.
"He's so kind and thoughtful...what did you ask for?" 
"A proper weapon. I need to go to the armory in an hour." 
At what I said Shalltear raises her eyebrows and nods. 
"Interesting...I'm coming too, if you don't mind. I'd like to see what you pick…" 
"Of course I don't mind. I just need to stop by my room so I can scream in happiness without making too much noise." I joke and shrug. 
"Ah, no, nevermind. I can't come to the armory with you, I've got my patrol to do. And by the way, you're so stupid sometimes. Alright, come here."

It's nice to have Shalltear's ability to teleport on my side. 
You could almost call it a vampire cab. 

"'Vampire cab'...sounds stupid. But also accurate." 

Right, mind reading. 

She grabs my arm and I find myself in my room, and I suddenly see a look of terror on Shalltear's face. 
"What's wrong, boss? Is the room too messy?" I joke. 

She's looking at my bed…

"N-nothing, why do you ask?" 

She doesn't sound very convinced. 

I start turning around to look at my bed when I suddenly feel a hand grasping my arm, so I stop. 
"What?" I ask confused. 
Shalltear says nothing and looks down, then she lets go of my arm and shakes her head. 
"Nothing. Nevermind." 

Okay…

But wait what the hell is that on my bed? 

"Why is it on my bed?" I ask nobody in particular. 
"What? I don't know why your diary's on your bed…" Shalltear says casually. 

Wait…

"I didn't mention my diary. How did you know it was my diary?" I ask suddenly getting suspicious. 
"What? N-no, I didn't…" 

Oh, now she fucked up. 

"You read it didn't you? You read all the pages from these last months, while I was doing my job and I wasn't in my room, didn't you?" I hiss. 
"N-no, it's not what you think...I'm just...dammit…" 

Now I'm angry. 

"You should learn how to mind your fucking business, that's how it is. And that's exactly what I think. Now get out of my face." 
"Don't talk to me like that." She says slowly and her face turns sour. 
"Don't talk to you like that? This is NOT the first time you invade my privacy. I've been going crazy over you since I got here, so just LEAVE ME ALONE!" I scream with tears in my eyes and look down. 
"Mark, I'm…" She reaches out with an arm, but I slap her hand and make her take a step back. 
"Just leave me alone. You shouldn't have snooped around my room. I will make you pay for that. And I swear that on the name of your creator, Lord Peroroncino."