Chapter 57: Actions speak louder than words

I wake up feeling a hand on my face, and whoever's the owner of that hand is lightly rubbing their thumb on my left cheek.

I fooled death again...how the fuck do I keep surviving...I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe, I would have been better off letting Shalltear kill me outside of E-Rantel that night.

"Mark..."

That's Shalltear. She's just the one I needed.

"Yeah...it's me...and it would seem I didn't die. Again." I whisper and slowly open my eyes.

And there she is. Beautiful as always.

"Exactly."

"How...long have I been out?"

I'm feeling great for some reason. And I really shouldn't.

"About a week."

Oh...nice. And another week of my eternal life gets wasted in a coma.

"I'm...where's Lupusregina?"

Fuck, now I remember...the training, the fight, and that weird spell...please, let her be okay...I wouldn't forgive myself if she...

"She's okay. But I don't think she's exactly in the mood to talk to you." Shalltear answers, probably trying to sweeten the pill for me. I immediately stand up and walk around the bed, stopping next to Shalltear.

"Where is she now?"

"She's probably outside in the ruins...but first, could you...listen to me? I'm..."

"I'll go look for her. I promise I'll come to you immediately after that." I answer petting her cheek and rushing out of the infirmary.

Well, "rushing". I'm basically limping around Nazarick, but you get the idea.

When I reach Nazarick's exit, I realize I could have very well used my ring and curse myself a few times, then I start looking around the white marble ruins, to see if Lupusregina is around.

Ah, there she is...

She's standing behind a column with her arms crossed. As soon as she sees me her expression completely changes, from boredom to...homicide.

"You had to wake up, didn't you?"

I get a wince at what she just said, and I try really hard to hold in my tears.

I'd never seen her so furious in my life...not even during the fight with Shalltear. She wants me as dead as ever.

"L-listen, I'm...it's not what you th-think..." I stutter and take a step forward.

"It isn't? You attacked me with silver. You could have killed me. I guess you were right all along."

I was right? Wait, what?

"I w-was right?"

Lupusregina points a finger at me, with murder and poison in her eyes, and takes a step forward.

"Yes. About the fact that you're insensitive and mean. Of all the people this could've happened to...why me? You betrayed me, and our friendship...you...are not better than a human."

To a lot of people this might not seem a big deal, but insulting me by comparing me to the race that I've hated and that has made me suffer so much is a stab to the heart. At that point, I fall to my knees and silently start crying, digging my hands in the ground below me.