Chapter 19: A very long evening

Boy, I'd never thought I'd get along so much with somebody having known them for a day. 

"Ahhh, kid, you're too much!" 
"Y-you too, hahahaha!" 
Lupusregina takes a sip of her drink and shakes her head. 
"I'd never thought I'd get along so well with somebody-" 
"After knowing them for a day? Yeah, same here." I interrupt her and smile. 
"Oh, I gotta ask something of you though." She suddenly says winking. 
"What is it?" 
"Please don't fall in love with me or something. Alright?" She asks with a beautiful smile. 
"What? I'll be honest, I can't make any promises." I joke and wink. 
"I'm serious!" 
"Yeah, I know. I was joking. I won't, don't worry. I mean, I already…" 

What? I need to STOP leaving sentences unfinished.

"What? Oooh, you were about to say something weren't you?" She asks with a knowing look. 
"What? No, I have a weird habit of leaving my sentences unfinished." I say casually. 
"Hmm...you know I'm not buying that." 
I put down my fork and sigh, then I shrug. 
"It's true!" 
Lupusregina gets up and grabs my arm, making me get up as well. 
"Let's go." 

Oh, alright. 

"Where?" I ask confused. 
"Around. I don't like sitting. Come on!" 
We start walking up and down the corridors of Nazarick, happily chatting and laughing. After a while, I realize that it's very late, and that I'm very tired. 
"Hey, do you mind if I leave you? I'm pretty tired…" I ask at some point.
"Oh? Sure, get your sleep." She says shrugging. 
"Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow." I say and smile tiredly. 
She suddenly wraps an arm around my shoulders and rubs her fist on my head really heard. 
"Ow, stop! Ow ow ow you're hurting me!" 
Lupusregina lets me go and laughs very loudly, then she gives me a stupidly wide smile. 
"Goodnight kid!" 
And she disappears again. 

Alright, I guess I gotta walk to my room now…
Good thing I'm on the 2nd floor, so not a very long walk. 

I start humming a jingle as I'm walking through the dark and quiet hallways, and with the echo of my footsteps keeping me company. I bring my collar up so that it covers most of my face, I take off my gloves and stuff them in my pockets as I keep walking. When I make it in front of my room, I'm about to open the door when I hear some footsteps behind me. I take a look with the tail of my eye and I see Shalltear walking in my direction. 

Great. 

I quickly open the door and I'm about to get in when I feel a hand grasping my wrist. 
"Mark, can I-" 
"No." 
I get free from her grip and slam the door in front of her, then I walk to my bed, take off my "uniform" and I'm left with a normal shirt and normal pants on. 
"I don't take no for an answer, Mark." 

Oh, fantastic. 

She's in here now. And she looks both angry and sad. 
"What do you want?" I hiss and clench my fists as I stand up. 
"I want to talk. Nothing more!" 

She sounds pretty convincing doesn't she? Well, I think I've finally learned not to trust her. 

"Well, I don't. So if you don't mind, I'd like to sleep, since I'm very tired and I've got a rough day ahead of me tomorrow. Goodnight." I finish and cross my arms. 
Shalltear walks to me and pushes me on the bed, letting out a scream of exasperation. 
"Why won't you listen to me?! You selfish and prickly piece of shit!" 
I sit up on the bed and take a look at her that spells "please stop". 
"Insulting me won't help." I say calmly. 
"Can you listen to me?"

She's starting to lose her patience. 

"Yes, I can. But I don't want to. I've had enough of your lies and shenanigans. I'm done. Now get out of my room." 
She gets a pretty strong wince and looks down, then she rushes out of my room. 
"Boss, wait...dammit…" 

I can't fucking do anything right, can I? 

I let out a scream of anger and punch the room's wall, then I lay in bed and start crying. 

Yeah, I'm still keeping up that "there hasn't been one night when I didn't cry myself to sleep" thing. 

"God...why can't I do anything right...DAMMIT!" 

I can't stay here, I need to take a walk. 

I put on my new clothes and rush out of my room and start walking to this floor's bar. After I get to the bar, I stop in front of the entrance and sigh, closing my eyes. 
"I should've listened to Shalltear while I had the…" 

Yeah, she's right beside me. 

"...chance." 

She doesn't look good. In fact, she looks the opposite of good.
And I'm sure I do too.

I take a look at her and I shut my eyes for the second time, trying not to cry again. 
"Hello, Mark. You...want to get a drink?" Shalltear asks with a slight smile. 
"Now that I'm here, I might as well. Plus...refusing a lady's offer isn't polite."  
We get in the bar, then we start talking a bit about random things, just like nothing happened. After some time, she bites her bottom lip and looks at me strangely.
"Mark…I'm sorry." 

Oh, she's sorry isn't she? 

And it took her more than half an hour of talking to get that small sentence out of her mouth. 
"It's fine, I got it." 
"R-really?" 
"Yes. Just be warned...I told you something this afternoon. If I catch you spying on me again, or doing things you did in the past, I'm gonna make you pay." I finish with a stern look and I finish my drink.
"You won't have to worry about-" 
"That isn't for you to decide. Now, you have been warned. You'll be the one losing your loyal servant, and the person that...nevermind. Just beware of what I said." 
I get up and start heading back to my room, and as soon as I'm out of the bar I feel a hand grabbing my arm, so I turn around and open my arms to say something like "now what?".

And surprisingly, she...hugs me. 

"Thank you. Goodnight." 
Then she breaks away, turns around and leaves me there completely frozen. 
"What the…"