Chapter 23: It's over...?

"Then what?! Who did you name?!" 
I shut my eyes and brace myself, then I whisper a "you". 
"Oh, okay!" 

"Oh, okay"? Really? Well, she took it better than I expected. 

"You don't want to murder me or anything?" I ask as I open my eyes. 
"What? No, why would I? You already accomplished a pretty hard feat! I have NO idea how you managed to resist!" She shouts and pats me on the back. I shrug and sigh deeply, still shocked.
"Yeah, I myself don't know. You should have seen her, with all her hair loose, and that smile on her face, the seductive tone of voice...man that was hard." 
"Alright, alright, I got it. Don't worry about naming me by the way, I would've done the same in your situation. Let's just hope she doesn't tell everyone in Nazarick what you said." 
"No, it's not like her…she's gonna keep trying to…um…fuck me?!" 
I shake my head and wipe my hands on my shirt, to dry the enormous amount of sweat on them.
"Yeah…let's say that." 
"And then she's gonna wait for me to do her wrong in some way, and destroy me. Or…she could be being honest." I think to myself and scratch my head, then I let myself fall on my back on the bed. 
"No, she's not being honest. You know that better than me!" She reminds me and drags me up with a hand on my collar.
"Ah...right." I mutter, gently moving her hand away.
"Hey, I hate to be rude, but I gotta leave. I'm serving Lord Ainz tonight! I'll see you tomorrow!" 
She gets up and gives me a wink, then she steps out of my room. I lay back down and cover my face with an arm, sighing for the umpteenth time today.

God...those 15 minutes with Shalltear left me completely emptied. I have no more energy left in me. 

"I'm so tired…"

And guess what? A knock on the door. 

"If it's not urgent, I'd advise you to come back later, since now I'm exhausted…" I mutter, not caring about who wants to see me.
"Oh it's urgent, alright." 

Fuck. 

"No...please…" I mutter in an exasperated tone, still not looking up. 

But I really don't need to, I know her voice too well. 

"No what? I don't know what you're talking about, Mark…" 

Of course she does. 

"Look, boss, I'm...just leave me alone, okay?" I whine. 
"I thought I'd told you to call me Shalltear..."

At least she doesn't sound angry. 

"You're not angry?" I ask faking to be interested, still laying down.
"No! Even though you lied to me about who you loved." 

Oh, she knows? 

Shalltear giggles and inspires really loudly. 
"Of course I do, cutie. It's comprehensible, since you must've felt very…uncomfortable?" She says in a kind tone of voice. She's trying to make me calm down, I can tell, but at this point she fucked up for good.
I sigh and sit up, only to find Shalltear's face a few centimeters from mine. 
"Ah! You're...closer than I expected." I point out. 
"Yes, I am. But I want to be closer to you…" 

Oh, no, please…I can't handle another 15 minutes like those.

"Then don't. Listen to me, Mark, I have good intentions...alright? I just want you close to me. These past months with you have been...wonderful." 

Her eyes are shining…but not in a good way. 

"With that look? Sure, sure." I answer back and roll my eyes. 
"Mark, please, listen to me...I'm only doing this...because I love you." 

Oh, okay. 

She starts slowly inching closer to kiss me, but I push her head to the side with a hand and shake my head, suddenly grinning.

Ah, I'm about to ruin this bitch. I can savour the taste of victory already.
She should really pay attention to her surroundings when she's orchestrating her evil plans.

"You orchestrated a very smart plan, I have to give it to you. But I won't be fooled that easily. Yesterday night, after we were at the bar together, I knew you were up to something, so I followed you. And guess what, Shalltear?" 
She takes a step back and I see an expression of fear on her face, just for a second. 
"What?" 
"I heard every single word of what you and Albedo told each other." I chant and smile very happily. 
"No…" She mutters with nothing but poison in her eyes. 
"Yes…" I say proudly and get up, taking a step towards her. She stands still, frozen with the same venomous expression. I open my arms and smile warmly, also giving Shalltear a wink.
"What? You don't want your cute Mark anymore? That's a shame…" 
She turns around and walks out, but I follow her and grab her arm. 
"Don't touch me, you piece of shit." 
"If you wanted to "have" me, that's not how you should have acted. I...actually was in love with you, until you read my diary again. A month ago or so you said you wouldn't have done it again, but you did. And then my feelings for you completely vanished…almost. That's what you shouldn't have done if you wanted me. But you never did want me, didn't you? To you, I always was some cute and little toy you could play with. Well, now your little toy broke. And you can't fix broken toys, or broken feelings." I finish, giving her the final blow. 
"Rrrgh…you…" She growls and clenches her fists.
"It's over, Shalltear. And with that, I mean your plan is over, your second chances are over, and so is our relationship. At least for now."

I don't even feel angry. I'm…disappointed. There's good in her, I know it. But for some reason, she likes to act like this. Maybe she's insecure of something about herself, maybe it's her nature, I don't know. But for now, I'm done with her. 

"M-Mark…I'm…DAMMIT!" 
She falls to her knees and starts crying on the spot, uncontrollably.

I feel the need to take her in my arms, to protect her, to comfort her, but I won't satisfy it. Not this time. 

I kneel down in front of Shalltear and I put a hand on her shoulder, making her look at me. 

She's crying, a lot. 

"I just can't bring myself to forgive you. Not now. Not after what you did to me. I'm sorry, but I can't find any extenuating circumstances for this. Remember that you did this to me and yourself." 
I get up and leave her there, on the floor. Crying. 

And I don't feel good or bad about it. I'm just glad it's over.

"People disgust me sometimes…" I mutter as I walk back in my room and slam the door. I let out a long moan and massage my forehead.
"Dammit…I didn't wanna be mean to her, but she left me no choice…" 

I need some company...but I only have 2 friends, and one just left, and the other is on the 9th floor. I guess I'll just go to bed… 

And so I do. I change, punch the wall a few times, then I check outside to see if Shalltear is still there, and fortunately she isn't, then I go to sleep. And for the first time in years, not a single tear flows down my cheeks. I don't cry, yell, rant or do anything else involving being sad.

Who would've thought that my first tearless night would be in here, huh? Especially after I told Shalltear to fuck off. I'm sure I still feel something for her but I just can't love her, not now. Well, for now I'm just happy it's over.