Chapter 16: Love and Death

Oh, I knew staying here would have brought interesting results!
Maybe I'll learn something interesting about him to blackmail him with, hehe!

"You see, human, I was a human once, just like you. And I've hated humans all my previous and current life. I didn't become a vampire very long ago, you see. It was a few months ago. I had an awful childhood, which made me an asshole and a bloodthirsty son of a bitch. Now, in my head I've got two possible outcomes for the future: one, I find a woman that I love and that will possibly live forever like me, then I become happy and live until the end of days without any worries or anything. Two, I either get kicked out of here, or I get killed, or I kill myself out of desperation, and everything goes to shit. You need to know I'm a cunning and ruthless son of a bitch, and that I'll do anything to reach my goals. I don't care how many heads I have to crush, how many friendships I have to destroy, or how many lies I have to tell. It's good that people here think of me as a softy and an easy-going kid with a big heart and big problems. They don't really know who I am…" 

What? Is he being serious? 

"You know, human, I no longer surprise myself for things people do. People go really far just for their own personal well-being, at the expense of others a lot of times. And that's a thing I just can't stand...watching all those idiots fight for power...killing each other just to be "famous". Fame is nothing. Just like me…" 

Just like him?

"L-like you?" The human asks. 
"You see, I'm worthless like the bunch of you humans. I'm just a little stronger. I mean nothing. And I'm part of this corrupt and murderous system as well, I'm just higher in the food chain. The only way I will ever be able to find peace in this endless cycle of death is through...love, and death itself."  

Love and death...
I'm interested in what he wants to say. 

"L-love?" 
"Yes, love. Killing satisfies me on the spot, then it makes me me feel like shit later. That's when I need people who can cheer me up. Love and death. And now...I need some death."
He raises his hand and completely sticks the knife in the human's chest, then he drags it down to his belly and takes it out. 

Everything accompanied by screams of pain. 

Then he stabs the human right in the forehead, and I hear a crack as his skull gets shattered. Mark takes his knife back, cleans it and looks around him, then he searches in the human's pockets but he doesn't find anything. 
"I could use his clothes to make myself the "battle outfit" Shalltear was talking about…" 
Then he start walking towards the bed. 

No, not the bed. That's where I…

He lays down on his back there and catches his breath for a few seconds, then he notices the chains at the edges of the bed. 
"Chains? What the…" 

I didn't want him to find out...certain things about me. 

He starts walking around the bed and he also notices the blindfolds on the bedside table. 
"Blindfolds...chains...near a bed...in a torture room…oh, shit…" 

Yeah, he did two plus two.

"Oh, Shalltear...you never cease to surprise me." He says amused and lets out an incredulous laugh. 
Then he walks to the human's corpse and dissolves it draining its energy, he takes the clothes and walks out. 

It was fun spying on him...I should do it more often. 
I love seeing him torturing his victims, it's...rather interesting. 
And now what should I do? If he's not in his room, I could take a peek and see if I can find anything interesting
But he's probably getting ready to report to Lord Ainz later.
I'll spy on him some more in the meanwhile, it's fun! 

I teleport outside of his room's window and start looking inside. 

I think he just finished washing himself, since he's combing his hair. 
And he's whistling very loudly. 

After he's done, he puts a shirt on, then he takes something from his bed and sits down at his desk. 
He opens a few drawers and finds a sewing kit, then he starts fidgeting with the human's clothes for a bit, and after some time he gets up and looks at what he made satisfied. He puts it on and takes a look at himself in the mirror. 

He made a dark grey jacket, with a lot of pockets and decorations. 
Not bad.

Then he changes in some black trousers and he puts on the human's black boots. 
His jacket's collar is pretty big, it goes up to his ears if it's completely raised. 

"Hmm...I like it, but I'd need somebody with better taste than me to give me a second opinion…" He mutters and thinks for a second. 

Alright, that's my cue. 

I teleport in front of his room and knock a few times, and the door opens immediately. 
"Mark?" I ask faking surprise. 
"What can I do for you, boss?" 
"I...was going to tell you that you should put on something fancy to meet Lord Ainz later, but it seems you've already arranged." I say raising my eyebrows. 
"You think this is nice?" 

I didn't notice, the buttons are black. And so are the collar and the insides.
Nice touch. 

"I do. You should put on some gloves or something as well, that'd be the cherry on top.

And now I'm giving him fashion advice. 

"Did you have any clear idea?" He asks perplexed. 
"Well...I think I do. Come on." 
I grab his arm and teleport him into my room, in front of my enormous wardrobe. 
"Now...I think I've got something good for you here...my creator gave me a lot of clothes…" 
I start going through every piece of clothing in my wardrobe, throwing stuff out, putting stuff in and more. After a minute I find something that might be good for him. As I turn around, I see he's basically buried in a pile of clothes and I can't help but laugh. 
"Here. These might be good." 
He gets free of the mountain of clothes on him and takes a deep breath. 

A pair of dark grey leather gloves. 
Why did I have these in my closet? 

"Why did you have these in your closet?" He asks very perplexed. 
"I have no idea! I told you my creator gave me a lot of clothes! I myself don't know everything that's in here!" I say shrugging. 
"Oh, fine then. Thanks, by the way. How do I look?" He asks putting them on. 

He looks...nice. Not too fancy, not too casual. 

"You look just fine. It's not...common, but I don't think it's bad." I say and nod. 
"Alright, well, thanks again. I appreciate it." He says and walks out.
"No problem! Have fun with Lord Ainz!" 

 Now, it's time to do some snooping. 

I wait for him to leave the floor, then I get in his room and start looking around. 

Hmm...what could he be hiding? 
Oh, right, his diary! 
There it is. Smack dab in the middle of his desk. 

I take it and sit down on his bed, then I start quickly going through the pages I haven't read yet. 
Nothing interesting from the last few months, it's just some briefings of his days. Just when I'm starting to get bored, I see something that catches my attention. 

"I don't even know why I'm still writing on this, but I guess it's because I don't have many other ways to spend my time. I might also become famous one day because of this, who knows." 

Right, I remembered he doesn't have the best handwriting. It's still readable so not a problem. 
Let's keep going shall we? 

"So, after the little accident in the woods, the following night I had a very weird nightmare." 

A nightmare, he says. 
I think this will be very interesting.