Chapter 58: A talk with Ainz

Hello hello, how are y'all? I'm sorry for the lack of updates...I'm just a lazy ass, and I never take the time to pursue my hobbies. Anyway, I'll be on vacation for the next two weeks, and I hope to find some inspiration to resume posting more regularly while I'm in the mountains, relaxing and enjoying myself. Sooo yeah, sorry again and hope you enjoy!

Today I'm feeling even worse than yesterday. I didn't sleep at all last night, for starters, and when I got up from bed I received the news that Ainz wanted to talk to me about...I don't know what. I spent my morning trying to rest a little, but I didn't accomplish much. I might have slept for half an hour or so, but I'm not really sure. And right now, here I am, laying belly up on my bed, waiting for something or someone to make me leave my room. I still have some time before I need to head to Ainz's office, so I think I'll stay here until the last minute: I can't be bothered to try to look presentable, and with my ring I won't need to walk. I really should stop wallowing in my own shit, though. The problem is that I'm too burnt out to do anything. 

As I keep searching deep inside me for a glimmer of will to live, I hear a knocking sound. I roll over in bed and take a look at my door, assuming the noise came from there.

"Yeah?" I shout, hoping it's Mistress Death coming to wrap me in her cold and tight embrace. As I sit up and try to fix my hair with a few strokes of my hands, I hear the sound of my door creaking. 

Well...I guess privacy isn't a thing. Wait, that's...

"Tuare?" I mutter, seeing my friend stepping in the room, wearing her usual maid dress. Her beautiful blonde hair is perfectly combed, unlike mine, and she looks rested and relaxed, unlike me. Tuare doesn't answer me, instead she shuts the door behind her and silently makes her way to my bed, sitting down right next to me. Her big blue eyes look into mine. 

"I know I look like shit." I grumble, having a hard time keeping my eyelids lifted up. At that point, as I see her trying to hug me, I block her and shake my head. She raises an eyebrow and gives me a preoccupied look, wanting to understand why I rejected her. 

"Look, I'm not in the mood for..." 

As I try to finish my sentence, she manages to overwhelm me, and to pull me in a very warm and tight embrace. 

I guess being embraced by my friend is better than being embraced by death...

"Let me help, Mark. I'm your friend, and I know that you're feeling terrible. If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine, but at least let me be here for you." 

I want her to let me go...but at the same time, I need her with me right now. 

I shut my eyes and finally manage to find some comfort in Tuare's arms. We stay there for quite a lot of time, or at least it felt like a lot of time, until I remember I need to leave for Ainz's office. I tell Tuare that I need to leave, and she lets me go. 

"Meet me outside after you're done, alright?" 

Why would she want me to see her outside...? Well, I won't say no. 

"Okay. Bye." I say, cracking the slightest smile as I step outside my room and into Nazarick's hallways. I use my ring to teleport in front of Ainz's office, and I find Albedo waiting for me as usual.

"Look who we have here..." She says, opening the door for me.

"Yeah, I'm still not dead. Are you surprised?" I ask, thinking that a harmless joke wouldn't hurt.