Chapter 18: At the armory

Hey there guys, I just wanted to apologize if this one's a bit short. I wrote it quite a long time ago and it looks like I was running out of things to write in it. Don't worry though, chapter 19 will be much longer and more action packed. I'll leave you to your reading now, enjoy :)

"Boy, that must've been pretty unpleasant." 

Good thing Lupusregina wanted to come with me to the armory. I really needed some company.

"Yeah...and now I'm so goddamn angry." I mutter as we get to the armory's entrance. 
"I know...you'll get it out of your system, don't worry! And this should be a life lesson for you, kid: never trust vampires." 

Yeah, I had already figured that out.

"I know...come on, let's go." 
We open the armory's doors and find Cocytos waiting for us there. After the usual greetings and stuff, he starts talking to me about my weapon. 
"First of all: melee or range?" 

Hmm…

"Melee." 
"Hm. What kind of melee weapon?" Cocytos asks. 
"Like...a sword. But not too heavy or big, not completely straight, and something that can still deliver powerful blows."

I've got a clear picture of what I want.

Cocytos takes me and Lupusregina around a bit, then he stops in front of a very nice looking blade. 

Hook handle, weird curve of the blade, I like it.

"This should be of your liking. The weight is distributed in a way that you can swing with the force of an axe, and still maintain the swiftness of a light sword. Plus, on the upper edge, which shouldn't be sharp, there are small but sharp metal teeth, facing towards the tip of the blade. So if you miss a swing, you can thrust forward and so some slash damage." Cocytos explains.
"Interesting. Can I try it?" 
I knew a blacksmith. He lives not too far from my old house in E-Rantel. So I already know a thing or two about melee weapons.
Cocytos hands me the sword, and I take a few swings and thrusts. 

It feels nice, I gotta say. 

(Author's note: the sword we're talking about is an Iberian "Falcata". It was used in Pre-Roman Iberia and by Carthaginian troops in the Second Punic War.)

"Alright, I choose this one." I say convinced. 
"Hm. You don't want to look around a little more?" Cocytos asks. 
"No, I'm good. This is exactly what I'd thought of." I continue, smiling.
"Very well then. Your new training regimen will begin tomorrow. I will personally train you." Cocytos says and does his classic huff. 
"Alright. Thanks so much for the help." I answer and bow. 
"Hm. I will keep your weapon until you start your training tomorrow. Please understand it's for safety reasons." Cocytos announces sternly. 
"Of course. Then I believe we're done here." I think to myself.
"Yeah! Let's go, kid." Lupusregina says and starts dragging me by my arm. 
"Hey, stop dragging me!" I protest.
"Bye Cocytos, I'll see you around!" The maid yells ignoring me. As soon as we're out of the armory she lets me go and smiles happily at me. 
"Alright, another success for us!" She yells with her fists on her hips. 
"Yeah, another success…" I mutter looking down. 

I still feel down about what happened with Shalltear earlier. 

"Hey, come on, I'll have no long faces on my watch! You're still feeling down in the dumps because of what happened with the sharp toothed bitch, huh?" 
"Don't...call her like that…" I whisper unsurely. 
"That's what she is. No matter how much you might try your hardest, and now matter how much she might try her hardest, she still remains an unreliable and cunning person." 

That's...pretty accurate. 

"You're...right. Thanks for the advice and for the company." I say smiling. 
"Of course! We're similar, you and I. We're both open and funny people, but we hide a dark side!" 

She's saying that so casually. 

"Yeah. By the way, it's almost dinnertime. Are you busy?" I ask casually. 
"Nah, I'm not. Why, did you wanna ask me out on a date?" Lupusregina asks mockingly.
"Of course I do, milady. Will you accept this offer?" I joke, winking.
"Yeah, I will. Consider yourself lucky! Let's go, I'm getting very hungry!"
"Mark." I hear a familiar voice say behind me, so I turn around and look at Shalltear acidly.
"What is it, boss?" I hiss, calling her "boss" like an insult. I quickly take a look at Lupusregina, she's got a very interested expression. 

She's gonna enjoy the shitshow that's about to start. 

"I'm...can I talk to you?" She asks unsurely.
"Sure. What is it?" I ask crossing my arms.
"But...look, I shouldn't have-" 
"Oh, you shouldn't have? Then why did you?" I shout interrupting her. 
"Because I'm stupid! That's fucking why!" 

Oh, finally she figured it out. 

"At least you figured it out." I say calmly and shrug. Shalltear sighs and turns around, then she walks away. 

Was it that easy? Last time she nearly killed me.

"Kid, you completely annihilated her! That was awesome!" Lupusregina yells making me jump. 
"Ah, thanks. I meant everything I said." 
"I'm sure you did! You can get pretty frisky when you're angry, huh?" She says satisfied. She almost looks like she's proud of me. Almost.
"I guess so. Now how about we go and have dinner? I need to forget having seen her."