Chapter 38: Back to the basement

"Ahh…"
As soon as I realize I'm not dead, I try to open my eyes and look around. I reflect a little on what I need to do and decide I should first try to get my bearings.

Oh would you look at that, I'm in the infirmary. Again. There seems to be nobody here.
The right part of my head still feels a little numb…actually, the whole right part of my body feels numb. I am seriously getting tired of passing out and waking up here.

"Let's see…"
I stand up and wobble my way across the room, to the nearest mirror, but then I remember I'm a vampire and that it's pointless to try to look at myself in a mirror that isn't in Shalltear's room or in mine.

Shalltear…I need to see her. I don't know why, but I do. I don't feel like I'd be able to walk properly now, so I'll rest for a bit.

"I guess I'll just wait…"
I lay back on the bed and try to rest my eyes for a few minutes, until I hear the creaking sound of a door being opened. I open my eyes again and find my favorite human standing right in the doorway. She looks worried, I don't really blame her though.
"You need to stop making me worry like that!" Tuare starts, taking a few steps forward.
"Ah, hey. You know I'm hard to kill, Tuare. It's alright." I answer, trying to sound optimistic.
"You are right, my friend. Still, you make me worry."
She then tells me she has nothing to do at the moment and keeps me company for a while. We chat happily and casually, mostly about our childhood, which wasn't happy at all for neither of us.

I really enjoy talking to her. She's like a big sister to me. I just wish she wasn't mortal...

At some point, she excuses herself to go and take care of her duties as a maid. I saw that coming, of course, but I'm a bit more disappointed than I would have liked.

Well, alone again. Since now I feel a tad bit better, I should walk to Shalltear's room and let her know I'm fine. At least I'll make myself useful for something.

I step out of the infirmary, making my way to my boss's room. After a walk that feels endless to me, I finally reach my destination. I knock a few times and wait a couple of seconds, but nobody answers or opens the door.

Where could she be? If she isn't in her room, she's gotta be…

"...In the basement."

I'm kinda scared to go back down there. But this time, I'm planning on being able to come out on my own. I think.

I rush down to the entrance to the basement, weirdly finding the doors already open. A growing sense of anxiety and maybe nervousness fills my head and my heart, as I go down the steps one at a time. As I walk inside I try to fend off all my bad vibes, trying to convince myself of the fact that I'm gonna make it out alive of this room again.
I notice Shalltear's slim and short silhouette in the darkness, giving me her back. She looks like she's busy with something.
I open my mouth to call her, but the words won't come out. I try to yell and call out to her, but my voice fails me, and I end up frozen in fear.

Come on, you idiot, just call her! Say one word, and you'll be fine! What are you even afraid of?!

"Boss." I say, trying to sound as convincing and sure of myself as I can.

That sounded more like a squeal than anything else to be honest. I just wanna punch myself in the face. And everywhere else. I want myself to die right now

Having heard my MANLY voice calling out to her, Shalltear quickly turns on her heels and stares at me with a weird look in her eyes.
"Mark?"

She looks…surprised. Yeah…surprised is what I was gonna say.

"Yeah, it's me. A-ah, I'm fine, don't worry. I just wanted to see you because…"