Chapter 42

At the age of thirteen, the Sins got their wings they inherited from their father. The day before Envy's thirteenth birthday, everyone was excited to see the youngest of the family get his wings. Envy received tips from his older brothers, as he was nervous he couldn't fly or get his wings at all.

"What if I jump off the cliff and fall?" he asked. 

"You won't," Pride laughed at Envy. "We all got it the first time, so you'll be fine."

Wrath grinned. "It's not like you're a bird, you're not going to fall face-first on the ground."

That just made Envy feel worse. The night before, he couldn't sleep, he was too nervous and he was afraid he wouldn't make Lucifer proud.

But Envy did get his wings and Virago cried with joy, she cried every time her babies got their wings.

Lucifer spent the whole day teaching Envy how to fly and his brothers helped as well. Pride was right, he got it the first try. He flew all around the island and explored it with Sloth. It was strange at first because he never felt two new limbs before.

When Pride got his wings, he wanted to be just as amazing as his father. He practiced his flying every day and made his very own schedule. At one point, Virago had to warn him that he was overworking himself, telling him he should have at least a day to relax. But Pride wanted to hustle, he couldn't stay still and he wanted to practice until he could touch the sky. Imagine his surprise when there was no sky to touch.

Wrath was the most stubborn when he got his wings. When he didn't get one thing right, he went into the woods and punched a tree until it came timbering down. When he got bored of trees, he ran into the woods and screamed at the sky, scaring off the poor animals. One thing that was strange though was that he had black wings. None of his other brothers shared the same detail, they all had white feathers, besides Lust. Lucifer and Virago found it odd but Wrath liked the black. He found it strange, but it didn't bother him one bit.

Lust loved having his wings out, which gave him an excuse to not wear a shirt. Virago offered to make cutouts on his shirts but he respectfully declined. She had a feeling the reason he liked to be shirtless came from his father. When she was pregnant with Lust, she didn't strip any clothing off of her, only when she and Lucifer got down and dirty. Lust took extra care of his wings and he even made a special shampoo for them to give them a nice white glow. He was kind enough to make some for his brothers and he was always excited to see how their wings would come out after. Even so, Lust always thought his wings were the most fabulous out of the seven because he inherited Lucifer's golden feathers.

When Greed and Gluttony got their wings they both raced every day to see who was the fastest, but their speed matched one another. Gluttony liked to bring snacks in a pouch with him when he flew which came in handy. His brothers really liked the idea. When they leave to hunt, they carried weapons on their backs as they scanned the land for anything to eat.

Sloth had the most trouble learning how to fly. Lucifer caught him sleeping while he was teaching him. He asked Calinaigh to make a spell for Sloth to stay up during his lectures. Eventually, Sloth got it and he and Envy made bets to see who could fly up the most to touch the clouds. It was a little game they liked to play and sometimes they played it with their older brothers.

On Envy's birthday, Virago couldn't stop hugging him and tearing up at the fact that all her kids were growing up too fast.

"It feels like just yesterday you were small and begging me to carry you," Virago sobbed. "Stop growing up, Envy!"

Envy was now a few inches taller than Virago. Each Sin also inherited Lucifer's height. 

"Mother," he laughed, wiping her tears away. "No matter how old we are, we'll always be your kids."

She nodded, sniffling and hugging him tighter. "Always."

He spent the rest of the day racing his brothers in the sky. Lucifer joined in with his kids, beating all of them at their own game. Virago sang and made food, Calinaigh made Envy a dream catcher and the Hellhounds were also celebrating with a corpse of a deer they caught. The whole day was full of food, dancing, laughs, and fun. Envy considered his thirteenth birthday to be one of the best days of his life. But the horrible death of his mother would happen the day after, waiting to tear the hearts out of the Sins and Lucifer.

NOTE

hrrrrrg it's coming, Vira's death is almost coming! T^T

Thank you for reading guys!! :'D

- Sin