Chapter 51

Wrath: Father, look, it's the good kush!

Lucifer: This is the dollar store, how good can it be?

VIRAGO

I ran out of my car as fast as I can, trying my best to catch Cohne before he leaves his office. I woke up just a smidge late today and parking in Manhattan is one big difficult task to do. Last night I didn't put on my alarm. I was too distracted, especially since I got to sleep naked in Lucifer's bed. I only have about seven minutes left to see Cohne before he leaves and hand him the stupid tuition money. I was confident in myself, I'm not financially in debt anymore thanks to Lucifer, yet here I am still making myself stressed.

I bumped into another fellow New Yorker who didn't care that I was running. Reaching my school, I ran to the financial aid building, ran up the stairs, and swung the door to Cohne's office open.

He was just getting ready to leave. "Virago?"

I slumped exhaustedly in the chair in front of his desk, ignoring the aggravation in his voice. I don't care if he wants to leave so badly, he better take the money and let me stay in this school.

"Here's the tuition I owe," I said, pulling out a check and handing it to him.

He grabbed the check. His eyes widened at the amount of money I wrote on it. "Where did you get all this money?"

He's gotta be joking. I'm too tired for this, I just wanna go back home. Back to the manor specifically. So what the crap is he talking about?

"I applied to that secretary job you sent me," I replied.

"Virago." Cohne took off his glasses, sitting in his chair in disbelief. "I never sent you a secretary job."

I giggled into a full body laugh. He's going crazy, it was about time. But his serious tone made my laugh die down. His jaw clenched, glancing back at the check. Fear started creeping up inside me. I gripped the armrests of the chair.

"The...the job at W.T.H.G. Enterprises...it was at the bottom of the list, sir."

"List?"

Please, please, tell me this is some kind of joke. Cohne rolled his seat towards his computer. I tapped my foot on the floor nervously. My anxiety took its sweet time to make me feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. Everything is okay, he probably just needs to fix the screws in his brain. He lost a few and needs to put new ones in.

Cohne finally checked the email. He took a large gulp. "Well, that's strange. I know for sure I didn't send this link to you. I don't even recall putting any of these links in here."

"What?!" My voice cracked and I stood up. "Wait so you never sent the CEO my schedule either?"

He shook his head. "No, hun."

If he didn't send me that list then who did? And how the heck did Lucifer get all of my information? More importantly...who the hell was Lucifer?

I took a deep breath. "Could you accept the money, please? You're good at depositing tuition money, right?"

"Yes," he said. "Of course, have a wonderful vacation, Virago. I'll deposit this right now."

I thanked him, storming out of his office and made haste to go see the man who was now a stranger to me all over again. I'm nervous, angry, and quite frankly, scared. He said he loved me last night. He had his lips between my legs last night. Disgust churned my stomach. Was everything a lie? This entire time was I falling in love with a man who pretended to be someone else? Come to think of it, how did he know I was still a virgin?