Chapter 44

Lucifer sighed at his post, bored out of his mind and wondering why God made him judge the Souls for the day. It was supposed to be his job, not Lucifer's. It was hours before he first met Virago, hours before he was banished from Heaven forever. He held his cheek in his hand. Although he hated the job, he liked to hear the stories of the Humans who did wrong when they were alive. That was the only reason why he agreed to take over.

Some Humans died by drowning, some were poisoned, most died in painfully dumb ways. Lucifer thought they were so damn weak. Any simple thing could kill a pesky Human. How pathetic.

Lucifer let one of the dead souls step forward.

"Okay, state your name and sins, Human, don't waste my time."

The Human spoke with confidence. "I'm Cain and, well, I killed my brother."

"Oh?" now Lucifer was interested. He unslouched, getting excited to hear the story. "That's interesting, explain why."

Cain smirked and Lucifer chuckled, amused that a Human was able to make his day a little less dull. The Humans he judged before Cain were awfully stale. They had no flavor, no flair, not a single interesting bone in their body. Cain had the energy Lucifer was looking for.

"Your Lord favored my younger brother over me when I deserved to be recognized," Cain spoke with distaste. "I also killed him because I was tired of having him around."

"Hm." Lucifer nodded. "What's your name again?"

"Cain."

"Well, Cain, I like you, you're free to go."

"Wait...what?" Cain was shocked, to say the least.

"Yeah." Lucifer looked through Cain's Life Record and nodded. "I think I might find you useful in the future. So what do you prefer? Eternity in Hell or on Earth as a Demon?"

Cain found Lucifer peculiar. He heard stories that Angels should be loyal to God and everything he stood for. He didn't want to lose this chance though. 

"Uh, being back on Earth sounds heavenly."

"I like what you did there," Lucifer laughed. "Alright, I'll see you soon then."

Lucifer sent Cain back to Earth, watching his soul disintegrate in the air. The next soul came up but Michael flew over and landed next to Lucifer. Here we go again, what the hell does Michael want this time?

"Luci, Father wants to speak to both of us."

Lucifer rolled his eyes and left his post, leaving the Human soul to wait as he flew with Michael to God's palace.

The female Angels below them all looked at Lucifer in awe, admiring God's favorite Angel. 

"Lucifer!" they shouted. "Hiii!"

Lucifer winked at them and they all swooned. Michael wondered why they never found him appealing enough to do that to him. He found it confusing because Lucifer was the rebel, he was the one who questioned God's word.

"Why do women like you?" asked Michael.

"I don't know," Lucifer laughed. "Because I'm the fun, sexy bad boy?"

Michael grunted with disgust. They flew through a window and landed in God's palace. God was sitting on his throne, his face in his hands. Michael bowed but Lucifer stood tall.

"My children," he sighed. "They're losing their faith in me."

Michael straightened and cleared his throat. "What do you propose we do, Father?"