■ T W E N T Y - F I V E ■

"I think there's something wrong with your stove," Chase said before I heard clanking.

"What are you breaking?" I asked, hopping off the couch.

I jogged into the kitchen to find him slide a pan away from a burner. "It's not turning on," he added as I moved up beside him.

"That's because I turn it off, to save power," I said as I leaned over the bench and turned the stove and oven back on.

"Ah sounds right," he replied with a smile.

Glancing at me, he grinned. "So did you miss me?" He asked, pulling me into his arms.

I smiled as I pressed my chin on his chest, looking up at him. "Of course I did," I replied, grinning.

He brushed back my hair that framed my face and stroked my cheek. "I missed you, lots" he replied before pressing a small kiss on my nose.

I chuckled. "Well are you going to cook me dinner or hug me to death?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Hug you to death, of course," he replied before leaning down.

Just as we were about to kiss and knock sounded at the door, making me pull back. "I'll get that," I said, before pulling out of his arms.

Chase sighed but nodded. Walking over to the front door, I pulled it open to see James standing with his back to me.

"James?" I asked, surprised.

He turned around quickly and shot me a hesitant smile. "Hey, is Chase here?" He asked, glancing behind me.

I nodded before pulling away from the door. "Chase!" I called out.

"Yeah?" He asked, sticking his head out of the kitchen.

"James is here to see you," I replied.

A look crossed his face and within a blink, Chase was beside me and shielding me from James. "What are you doing here?" Chase practically snarled.

I raised my eyebrows. "Chill out, brother, I'm just here because mum told me to check up on you, she says she hasn't seen you all day," James replied.

"I'm fine, I'm great now get lost," Chase said, crossing his arms.

I peeked over his shoulder to see James narrow his eyes. "Look I get why she was angry with me but not you," James said, gesturing to me.

"I'm angry because you treated her like garbage, when she was the only other person on the planet who loved you," Chase snapped back.

I grabbed his arm. "Chase, I've already spoken to James about this, we're cool, okay?" I said, grabbing his attention.

"What? You spoke to him without telling me?" Chase asked, his tone icy.

I narrowed my eyes. "Well sorry, Dad, I didn't know I had to you everything that goes on in my life," I snapped back.

Chase's demeanor changed dramatically. "I can't believe you let him get inside your head, like that, can't you see that's what he does!" He replied back.

"Chase calm down, we spoke for like five minutes and he apologised and I apologised and now its over," I said, taking his hand.

"No it's not!" Chase snapped, pushing me back.

I fell back onto the ground, the wind knocked out of my body and I lifted my head to see James react.

He pulled Chase outside by the shirt and threw him back. "Don't ever touch her again!" He yelled.

Chase's face drained white when he saw me lift myself up from the floor. "Jesus, Christie, I'm sorry" he began apologising.

I shook my head, mostly to get rid of the ringing bells in my ears. But Chase took it as something else. James helped me up from the ground and Chase stared at me.

"What the hell, Chase!" James snapped.

I grabbed his arm. "Stop, stop it, both of you, I've had enough of you fighting!" I suddenly exclaimed.

They both looked at me. "I'm not some prize to be won and I'm not freaking fragile!" I added.

James dropped his arm, lowering his eyes with shame. Chase stepped closer. "I'm sorry Christie," James muttered.

"I don't think you're fragile and I'm def-" Chade was saying before I cut him off.

"Chase! Please! I don't want to hear it, right now I just want to be alone, is that okay with you?" I asked, half annoyed.

It looked like Chase was going to argue but James stepped in. "It's more than okay, Christie, take as much time as you need," he replied, stepping off the porch.

"Let's go!" James said to Chase as he brushed past him.

A moment ago, we had been in my kitchen, in each other's arms and now James was pulling his brother away, as I rubbed my painful wrist.
I think I had sprained it during my fall.

I was thankful to James that he wasn't trying to continue any fights, rather just ending them abruptly and walking away. I had a headache and I couldn't handle anything else.

After closing the front door, I walked into the kitchen to make sure Chase hadn't put on something and then walked away. I packed away the chicken into the fridge and turned off the kitchen light. After locking the front door, I walked up the stairs to my room.

I wasn't hungry anymore, just tired and drained. I had a quick shower, brushing my teeth before climbing between the covers of my bed.

Picking up my phone, I searched for an app with music that could help me go to sleep.

My eyes fell upon a song and I clicked on it. The soft melody began, soon I could hear the rain drops. This was exactly what it sounded like when James was driving me home from showing me his favourite spot. The rain, the song, the artist.

I could help but feel my eyes well up. It had been so simple then. Just a girl who had crazy unexplainable feelings for the boy next door. But now, it was twisted with lies, deceit and drama.

Listening the song reminded me that there was a time before the drama and that there will be a time after the drama. Chase and James had to learn to get along, and I knew that Chase had immense feelings for me and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel it to, and I knew James felt something for me, what though, I wasn't quite sure.

But I wasn't going to be caught up in some stupid fight between brothers. I wasn't a trophy. I was a woman and I could make up my own god damn mind.

A/N

Yes! Slay Christie!
Show them that you don't need no man!

But also, like.. marry James.... please? 😊

What's your thoughts on the chapter?
Do you think Chase got a little possessive and not of the hot kind?

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Lots of love, Tavana xoxoxoxoxoxox