·From Boy, To Griffin· (Pt. One)

On a distant shore, 1534.
Characters: Young Dark, Young/Shapeshifter Anti

The mother screeched, the father yelled, and the brother cried. The rat ran around the small living space squeaking in fear as the mother threw things at it. Dark cried out for his family to stop, but they didn't. Dark thought that they would be excited to see a new animal. Unfortunately they weren't, they were actually quite appalled by it.

Dark grabbed the rat quickly and let it climb into his coat pocket. His mother screamed once again. "DARK EDWARD DOOM! GET THAT DAMNED THING OUT OF MY HOUSE!" Dark winced slightly but nodded and ran out through the door. He ran and ran until he came to the familiar cliff. The cliff he would sit on for hours on end. Letting his mind wander and his fingers move across paper with a quill in hand. The rat hopped out of his pocket on landed on the rocky earth. Dark plopped down with a large sigh. The rat idly sat by and sniffed at the air.

A small crab walked by his feet, drawing his attention away from the rat. The crab walked curiously over to Dark. It moved a pincer and grabbed at Dark's shoe with it. The boy giggled and picked it up, letting it crawl along his hand. 

The boy had zoned in so much on the crab, that he didn't even hear the distressed squeal from the nearby rodent. But the sudden rush of wind knocked him from his thoughts. Dark quickly looked up to see powerful wings and the body of a lion, with the face of an eagle. The creature landed about five feet from Dark and tossed the poor rat into the air, catching it again in its jaws.

Dark quickly stood up and backed away, scared out of his socks. The creature cocked it's head to the side and sat on it's haunches. The rat squirmed in it's grip. Dark kneeled down and took a deep breath. He pointed to the ground and then slowly back up to the rat in the creatures maw. The creature ruffled it's feathers and dropped the rodent. The little thing was so frightened that it sat there for a moment to collect itself. The rat scampered back over to Dark, and climbed up his leg, back into the safety of his pocket. The boy sighed in relief, but his breath was immediately taken away when the creature started transforming.

First he saw hands, that connected to arms. Then feet to legs. A torso and a head. The eyes were what caught most of Dark's attention. They were different colors. One was an emerald green while the other was an ocean blue. Dark almost fell over when he realized the creature had just turned into a human.

The creature -- human now -- was male, obvious from his lack of clothing and was a young boy, just as Dark was. He hesitantly walked around Dark and smelled him, which made Dark very uncomfortable. The other boy stopped sniffing Dark and turned to look at the small crab in his hands. He reached out to take the crab but Dark snatched it away from him. "No!" He yelled. "I- uh, sorry..." The other boy pouted. "Anti." He spoke. Dark was taken aback that he could speak. "Anti." He told Dark again, and pointed at him. Dark got the idea and spoke softly. "My name's Dark..." The other boy who we know as Anti now grinned. "Dark!" He giggled.

Dark nodded and stood up from kneeling. "What are you?" He asked Anti. Anti just moved his head in the same confused manner as he had before. Dark sighed and pointed to himself. "Human," he pointed at Anti. "And you are?" Anti sat down on the ground. "Anti!" He smiled proudly. Dark rolled his eyes and sat across from the other boy.

"No, I know your name, but what's your species?" Anti wasn't even listening to Dark, but instead was intent on watching the crab crawl around in Dark's hands. The boy watched as Anti stared at the small crustation. Dark opened his hands to allow Anti to see the crab more clearly. Anti grinned once again and stuck out his own hand. The crab crawled onto it and Anti looked at it with fascination. "Sam..." He whispered. Dark let the corners of his mouth form a smirk. The crab -- now named Sam -- spun around in a cirlcle on the other boys palm.

The rat cautiously crawled out of Dark's pocket to see what was going on. A crab was spinning, the giant bird was gone, but another boy that wasn't Dark was here with them. The rat shook it's head pitifully. It knew that it was the smartest being here. These poor animals around him would always be uncultered swines.

The black haired boy -- Dark -- noticed the rodent and picked it up. The brunette -- Anti -- pointed at the mammal and nodded at Dark. The raven haired boy shrugged not knowing what Anti meant. Now it was time for the brunette to roll his eyes.

He pointed to the crab saying it's name, then pointed to the rat. Dark let out an 'Oh' of understanding then looked down at the rat. He thought for a moment before blurting out a name. "How about Timothy, Timothy the rat. Tim for short." The rat seemed to nod in agreement with the name while Anti also nodded. A loud screech errupted from the forest and Anti shot up to his feet. He let Sam go and transformed back to his other form of the creature. Dark quickly stood up also. "Wait! Don't go..." He pleaded. Anti gave Dark a look of understanding. "Will you be back?" The raven haired boy asked. Anti nodded his large head. Dark smiled slightly and Anti walked closer to him. Anti nudged the boys hand and allowed Dark to pat his head. Another screech led Anti to reluctantly walk away. He got a running start then jumped and spread his powerful wings. Once second he was on the ground, and the next he was airborn. Dark's breath was taken away once again at how beautiful and fun it looked.

Dark waved his hand at Anti as he flew off towards the far woods. Sam and Tim sat by his feet, a little sad themselves to see Anti go. That very night when Dark sat by the candle light, he wrote of what had happened that day. He drew pictures of what he saw until his father told him to go to sleep. So he did, but with a happy heart that night. He didn't feel that lonely anymore. Dark now had someone that he could call his friend.

To Be Continued...