·Courage, Dear Heart·

Amber locks
Eyes of frost
My heart gives way to you
My heart, poor heart
Even though it loves you
Doesn't have the courage to ask you
Those words
Simple words Of devotion
Simple words Of sugar coated pain
Your eyes are on someone else
Your mind is in someplace other
My heart
It beats and it cries
But you don't notice
For my heart isn't courageous
And thine is lost at sea

Dark finished the last sentence with a disgruntled sigh and slammed his pen on the table. The poem that sat before him was true. It was true to what he was going through at the moment. He had fallen madly in love for someone that would never feel that same for him. To make matters worse, he had crushed on a boy. The gender same as him. It was 1962. Homosexuality was frowned upon by many, even his own parents. So when Dark realised he was catching feelings for another boy in his grade, he tried to push it down. Tried to flirt with girls. They'd flirt back, allow him to place his hands on their tiny waists, flip their blonde hair over their shoulder. Their slender lips would be much to close to his for his liking. He didn't want their lipstick on his face. He didn't want their painted nails combing through his hair. What he wanted was hands on his waist. He wanted to be the one kissed, he wanted to comb his hands through short brown hair. Dark cursed to himself. Someone then knocked on the door, to which he answered with. "It's open." Mark, Dark's brother, walked into the room. "Hey... Dinner's ready." He said hesitantly. He could tell by Dark's posture that he wasn't in the mood to be spoken to. "Okay. Tell mom I'll be down in a second." Dark said tiredly. Mark frowned and walked up behind Dark, reading the poem his brother had written from over his shoulder. Mark raised an eyebrow. "I didn't know you were one for romantics. Whose the lucky girl?" Dark shook his head and tore the paper out of his notebook, crumpling it and throwing it to the other side of the room. "More like 'who isn't lucky'." Mark leaned against the desk. "Why is that?" Dark looked at him. "You don't wanna know." He replied dryly. Mark sat on Dark's bed. "Well of course I want to know! Are you going to ask her out?" Dark slammed a hand down on his desk. "He's not a her." He growled. Mark was taken aback for a second. "What do mean, Damien?" Mark narrowed his eyes at Dark. "What I mean is," Dark stood up from his seat. "I'm homosexual, Mark! I'm not straight, a hetero, I like dick! What more do you need? Some more reasons to disown me? Some more reasons to hate me? Is that what you want!? Then I'll give you more! I used your toothbrush to scrub dog shit off my shoe the other day! I blamed my practically shitting my pants on the cat, AND I HATE DADS MEATLOAF!" Dark yelled. He didn't care if the whole neighborhood could hear him. He was sick and tired of hiding. When Dark had calmed down, he then realized how irrational he had been. He had just outed himself to his brother and possibly his mom if he had yelled loud enough. Which, he was pretty sure he had. Not to mention let some embarrassing comments slip.

Mark sat there baffled. "You used my toothbrush to scrub dog shit off your shoe?" Dark nodded. "The same one I'm still using?" Mark asked persistently. Dark winced, but nodded. Mark laughed loudly and hopped to his feet, and embraced his brother. "I don't give a fuck if you like a guy, you're my brother, I'll love you unconditionally. Except for the toothbrush thing. I'm going to hold a grudge against that." Dark let out a hearty laugh and ruffled Mark's hair. They headed downstairs to eat dinner.

***

The school yard was filled with hormonal teens, drama, drugs, and sweet cars. Dark stood at the edge of the pampered grass and watched as his fellow classmates filed into the school or socialized outside in groups. He sighed and walked towards the prison like building. Hands stuffed in his pockets and head lowered, Dark hadn't noticed the other person quickly making their way up behind them. They grabbed his arms and spun him around. "Hey man," the person shoved a can of spray paint into his hands. "I need your help." Dark's breath caught in his throat. His crush. The boy he had helplessly fallen for was currently gripping the sleeve of his shirt and shoving a can of vandalism into his arms. Anti smirked. "You think you could draw a dick on the side of the school? I'll add a few touch ups." Dark didn't know how to respond so he just mumbled out a "sure". Anti's smirk grew. He dragged Dark over to the back of the school and pulled out some differently colored spray paints from his bag. "Lets get to work then, my dude." Dark got to work on drawing a cartoony dick. After he finished, Anti moved to drawing a rainbow around it and wrote something at the bottom of it.

Dark read it to himself after Anti finished. He let a grin spread across his face.

Who I love is not your problem or your choice.

Anti grabbed his arm again. "Are you a friend of Dorothy?" He asked. Dark was surprised for a second but pridefully said. "Yes." Anti turned Dark's body to face him. "Good." Anti quickly pecked Dark on the cheek and ran off. Dark was a blushing mess. He jumped in the air and yelled loudly in triumph before running after his fellow gay rebel.