·From Boy, To Griffin· (Pt. Two)

Sam crawled around in the sand, picking up random shells. Tim sat nearby and groomed himself. And Dark sat on a piece of drift wood writing. It had been over a week now since he had last seen Anti, and was starting to get worried that he'd never see him again. But Dark waited for his friend to return. He'd be happy if they could just talk again. The sun was setting, casting beautiful colors across the sea and sky.

The boy huffed and stood up. He collected his things and held out his hands for Sam and Tim to crawl into. The crab and rodent happily did so, ready to go home. Dark dragged his feet on his way back, not really wanting to return home.

The boy walked along the path through the woods, eventually ending back up in the small town. There were vendors out today and other children playing. Another boy tried to kiss a girl, but got a huge slap on the cheek instead, to which Dark laughed at. He skipped over to a familiar food vendor and waved at the older man. The man waved back. "Hey Dark! Whaddya doing out so late, son?" Dark shrugged and picked up an apple from the cart. "Not sure, Ryan... It's more peaceful out by the ocean at night I suppose." Ryan nodded and handed a couple of more apples to Dark. "Well I'll see ya later then son, tell your mother the apples are on me." Dark smiled gratefully.

"Thank you Ryan, have a good evening!" He said while running off to his home. Jogging down a couple of more winding paths and crossing a stream. Dark's mother was outside the cabin hanging clothes while his father was cutting wood with his brother. The boy walked up to his mother, and showed her the apples. She nodded and pointed to the house. "Thank you hun, just set them inside on the table." Dark hummed in reply and made his way to the tiny home.

The little cabin was cozy, with a fireplace, a loft, and a small kitchen/dining room. Dark placed the apples onto the counter, then hurried up the ladder into the loft. Sam and Timothy clambered out of his pockets. Tim made his way to a small nest in the corner, while Sam went over to a small water filled dish with rocks in it. Dark moved to sit on his bed and pulled out his journal, writing down a few more story ideas, and sketching.

A few miles away, Anti, was flying through the clouds. He relished the chilly air against his feathers. The familiar cliff came into veiw. He landed and looked around for Dark, but he was no where to be seen. Anti let out a small whine before sniffing at the ground, searching for the boys scent. His ears perked up when he caught Dark's scent. Almost immediately Anti shot off into the air. He zoomed past trees and over creeks. Tree branches shook from the force of his wings.

A small building came into the Griffin's veiw. He spotted the boy through a small window and sqwaked happily. The creature landed on the roof, then peeked over the edge to see the boy sleeping soundly. There were three other humans in the home. Another boy like Dark, then there was two older humans sitting by a fire. Fire inside of a shelter? These humans are crazy! Anti thought to himself.

The Griffin knocked his beak against the window a few times, trying to get Dark's attention. The boy was startled awake, gasping when he saw Anti's large head peering through the window. Dark carefully got out of bed and went over to the window. He opened it and grinned at Anti. "You came back." He whispered. Anti trilled, happy to see the boy.

The Griffin crawled down onto the ledge below the window, motioning his head backwards. Dark got the idea and gulped. "Oh no... I couldn't." Anti sighed and turned around a little more, wanting Dark to hop on his back. The boy gulped again and slowly climbed out of the window and onto the feathery back. Anti trilled once again ans jumped backwards, quickly spreading his wings before they hit the ground. Dark screamed and closed his eyes tightly.

When he didn't feel his body splat against the ground, he opened his eyes. His fingers turned white with how tightly he was gripping Anti's feathers.

The creature soared through the air gracefully, his wings slicing through the air with incredible strength. Dark gasped at the sight before him. The sky was filled with millions of tiny stars. The mood was high and full in the sky, making the dark atmosphere look almost mystical. The cold air whipped at Dark's black hair and chilled fingers.

Anti swooped down, enjoying the adrenaline rush he got from it. Dark yelled out, and he had to admit, he felt much more powerful up in the air. Anti quickly veered upwards again towards the cloudy sky.

The Griffin popped up through the clouds and hovered. Both could see the stars and moon clearly now. It was nothing like Dark had ever seen. It was much colder in the clouds, but it was silent and peaceful. It was almost as if the world below them didn't exist.

Dark chuckled softly. "This is amazing Anti... Thank you." The Griffin nodded his head saying 'you're welcome' in a way. They spent a few more moments up there before Anti swooped down. The clouds left them both slightly damp.

They flew for a few more miles before Anti decided to land. He skidded to a stop, and folded his wings. Leaning down a little to let Dark off of his back. The boy hopped down with a huff. He shivered slightly. He should have brought a jacket. Then something warm enveloped him. Dark looked behind himself to see that Anti had wrapped a wing around him. The Griffin brought the boy closer to his warm body. They both sat down, and Dark snuggled more into the side of the Griffin. From where they were sitting, they could see the whole village that the boy lived in, and the ocean beyond it.

Dark pet Anti's side until he dozed off into a deep sleep.

***

The boy woke up to the sounds of the woods, and the soft pats of feet walking. Anti's wing wasn't wrapped around him anymore. Dark sat up and rubbed his tired eyes, letting out a large yawn. He turned to see Anti walking around in his human form, gather wood and sticks. Dark stood and stretched, wincing when a few bones popped.

Anti spun around, giving Dark a warm smile. Dark returned the gesture and walked up beside Anti. "What are you doing?" He asked. Anti pointed to a freshly skinned rabbit and a small pile of wood. "Breakfast." He grinned. The boy nodded and sat beside Anti. He noticed that he was now wearing tattered clothes, and a small knife was strapped to his leg. "Where did you get the clothes, and the knife?"

Anti pointed to the woods. "Ma."

"Whose 'ma'?"

"Humans call mother, I call ma."

Dark nodded in understanding. Anti spoke in broken English, but it was easy enough to understand with enough context. The next half hour was filled with the boys chatting, eating, and playing a few rounds of tag. The sun was high in the sky now.

Dark remembered that his parents would have been up hourse ago and jolted. "Oh no... Anti, I'm terribly sorry, but I have to go. My mom and dad will be so mad at me... Bye!" Dark gave Anti a quick hug and ran down the slope towards the village. Anti gave a small wave, still shocked by what Dark had given him. His ma had told him that Humans call it a hug, but he had never gotten one.

But Anti got his first huh from Dark... And for some reason he wanted another. He wanted to play with Dark for longer. He wanted a friend... And he was glad that the human he met accepted him. Accepted him for being something entirely different. That's what made a good friend, and Anti knew it.

The End.