·Brave or Stupid·

Whoa?? Two updates in one day?? Hot damn!

"Anthony, you're insane." Seán told his brother, who was trying to lift one end of the wooden boat. It was painted a baby blue, which had once been as vibrant as the sky, but dulled in age. "Shut up and come help me lift this." Anthony grunted. Seàn sighed. "Shouldn't we let a few people come along at least? Just incase we fall into the rapids?" Anthony dropped the boat and looked at his twin. "Yeah, you're right. We'll run over and get Damien and the others, huh?" Seàn nodded, then shook his head. "I can't believe I'm agreeing to do this with you. We're going to kill ourselves." Anthony clapped his brother on the back. "Just live a little! There's no harm in having a bit of fun." Seàn shrugged. "What about Ma and Dad though, they're going to kill us for doing this, if the rapids don't." The younger of the two brothers (by about ten minutes) rolled his eyes and started to run in the direction of town, leaving Seàn in the dust. Seàn stomped his heel before running after him. 

***

"You're insane." Damien smirked.

"That's what I said!" Seán raised his arms as if it helped prove his point.

Anthony looked between the two of them with a small frown. "I'm tired of hearing that. So are you coming or not, Dame?" He looked up at his friend from the bottom step of the porch. It was a hot day, and the concrete was burning the soles of his feet. Anthony hopped from one foot to another, cursing at himself for leaving his shoes back at the river. Damien sighed and leaned back inside to grab his sandals. Whenever Anthony used that nickname, it made him weak. Besides, he wanted to make sure Seàn and him weren't going to drown. He nodded and hopped down the steps, the old wooden screen door slamming loudly behind him. From inside, a voice yelled out at him to not slam the door. Damien's sister, Celine, was always on his ass about that. His brother, Mark, leaned out the window from the second floor and looked down at them. "Where are you guys going?" Seàn shielded his eyes from the unforgiving sun as he looked up at Mark. "We're going to the river. Wanna come along?" Mark nodded and closed the window. In a few minutes he was walking out the screen door, letting it slam. Celine stomped onto the indoor porch and looked at the boys through the screen. "I swear to God if you don't stop slamming that door-" Damien pulled up his hands in mock surrender. "Yeah yeah, you'll wear our guts for garters." Celine shrugged. "Well I was going to say 'put the dogs shit in your shoes', but that works as well." Mark giggled. The four of them waved good-bye to Celine and walked down the street.

As they walked, Arin pulled up next to the group on his bike. "Hey dudes." He waved. Damien waved back. "Sup Arin." The others greeted him as well. "Where's Danny? We almost never see you guys apart." Arin looked ahead of them, leaning on his bike a little to dodge a kid who was skating. "He's sick unfortuanlty. Fever or something." Anthony stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Oh, sorry about that. Tell him we hope he gets better soon." Arin smiled. "I will. I actually made some soup for him," he pointed to his backpack, to which they assumed had the soup in it. "Well, this is my turn. I see you guys later." He veered off down another street. The boys yelled goodbye as he did.

***

Anthony grabbed the boat on one end, while Damien grabbed the other. Seàn and Mark grabbed the sides. They counted down from three, then lifted it. They all groaned. "This is so heavy!" Mark exclaimed. Anthony lead them over to the bank. They all dropped the boat in relief. Seàn leaned against it and stared out at the fast moving waters. He gulped and looked back at his brother. "Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked. Anthony grinned. "Of course. C'mon, let's get 'er in there." He dragged the boat into the water with Seàn, and told him to hop in when it was half-way in the water. Mark and Damien moved in to push the boat fully into the river as Anthony got in the boat next, grabbing his oar and putting it in the water. The current grabbed the boat like a child desperately holding their teddy after a scary dream.

Seán gripped his oar tightly and planted his feet to the bottom of the boat, already scared shitless. The boat swayed as it was tugged at by the mucky waters. Damien and Mark ran along side them on the shore as they moved. "Don't just sit there and piss your pants! Help me paddle this thing!" Anthony yelled to his brother. Seán gulped and put his oar in, straining to push it through the water.

Soon enough the boat was speeding down the river. Anthony was yelling out in joy, while Seán was yelling out in fear. The brothers paddled as quickly as they could, dodging trees that leaned into the water as they went. Their friends had veered off onto another path since the one they had been on ended. Seán spit out water as the waves got rougher and rougher, until they came to the rapids. Anthony felt a spark of fear ignite in his chest, but pushed it back down with a gulp. "BRACE YOURSELF!" He screamed. The boat plummeted through the rocks and water, rocking roughly from side to side. The boys were huddled inside. Seán had lost his oar.

Anthony peaked over the side of their boat to see that they were going over the largest and most dangerous rapid. Everything seemed to go in slow motion, all Anthony could hear was an intense ringing. He felt his body get lighter. He hadn't realized he had fallen out of the boat until he hit the water, and hard. His back stung painfully. He heard something submerge next to him. Anthony got his bearings and swam quickly to the surface, even though his limbs burned painfully.

He gasped, filling his lungs with air. It was a relieved feeling, one he never felt, and one he wished he would never feel again. It was scary being under water for so long. He coughed up some water, the painfully numbing feeling of water in his nose wasn't easily ignored. Anthony looked around, sighing greatfully when he spotted Seán on the shore, coughing and being helped up by Mark and Damien.

Their boat was in peices and floating down the river.

Anthony used the rest of his strength to swim up to the shore. Seán was sitting with Mark, shivering and talking hysterically. Damien pulled Anthony out of the water and gave him a bone crushing hug. That didn't last long though. Damien pulled away from him to start scolding him. Anthony just smiled at him adoringly. When Damien stopped rambling to take a breath, Anthony held his shoulders. "You're adorable when you get angry, Dame." Damein coughed on his own spit. "W-what?" Anthony giggled and patted his cheek. "You heard me."

He left Damien standing there in shock and went to check on Seán, all the while wearing a sneaky grin.