Chapter Twenty-Four - Anything For Her

(Adrien's P.O.V.)

     I sit on my bed, unable to fall asleep.  I've been there for at least half an hour when I hear the door open. Father and Nathalie step in, appearing to be dragging someone behind them. I hear muffled screams.

"Chat Noir, we meet at last," says Father, "Nooroo, dark wings rise!"

I step back as he transforms, and then I look at Nathalie.

"Nathalie, y-you knew?" I say, backing into a wall in the realization that this time, I can't run away.

She nods and says, "Duusu, spread my feathers!"

Suddenly, I'm face-to-face with both Hawk Moth and Mayura. I look at the person they've dragged along with them, and terror shoots through me. It's Marinette!

"Plagg, claws out!" I yell. I transform, and Marinette's eyes widen in shock.

"Put my Princess down and I won't hurt you, Father," I say, extending my stick to weapon size.

"You wouldn't hurt me either way, Adrien! I'm the only family you have left, remember?  As for why I did this, I want to bring your mother back!" says Hawk Moth, "And I'm going to be the one bargaining here, not you. I'll do her no harm if you give me your Miraculous. Going once..."

I look at Marinette, her eyes widened, shaking her head. Her muffled cries are translated by her bluebell eyes. "Don't do it, Chat, please don't do it..."

"Going twice..."

"Fine!" I say, "You win, okay? I'll give you the ring. Just give me a minute to say goodbye to Plagg." I slide off my ring.

"You'll still get to see your kwami. After all, I'll give it back once I've brought your mother back," he says, taking the ring out of my hand with an evil grin. Mayura unties Marinette, who immediately runs at me.

"Why did you do that?" she screams, "You should've left me to die! My life is much less important."

"You mean more to me than you think, Princess," I whisper, hugging her.

She pulls away as Hawk Moth and Mayura walk out.  "Well, since I know your identity, I guess it doesn't matter now. Tikki, spots on!" she says. The next thing I know, Ladybug is standing in front of me. "Now, come on, Adrien, we have a Miraculous to retrieve," she says. We run to her house, where she grabs the snake bracelet and hands it to me.

     "Sass, scales slither!" I say.  I transform, and I start to think that maybe I should come up with a transformation sequence that isn't a Sailor Moon magical girl dance.

     I have to admit, having a different Miraculous is quite odd.  Using a different weapon is difficult enough, but using a different power is insanely hard.

     Ladybug puts her Miraculous in the box and replaces it with the mouse, the fox, and the turtle.  She quickly transforms, and I have to admit that she scares me a little when she's determined.

     "Come on, Aspik," she says, "Let's get your ring back."