Chapter Twenty-Six - Amethyst

(Nino's P.O.V.)

I slide on the ring the superhero had dropped. As I do so, a black kwami appears.

"Hello," he says, "I'm Plagg, and I'm pretty sure you're Nino, otherwise known as Carapace, right? Now, do you have Camembert? I'm starving."

"Hold up," I say, after looking to make sure nobody's around, "Are you saying that I have to temporarily take Chat Noir's place without a partner, face-to-face with Hawk Moth? Nope. No way. Not happening."

"I never said that. You put those words in my mouth," he says.

     "But that's true, isn't it?" I whisper.

     He sighs.  "Yeah, I guess it is, but just repeat after me.  Claws," he says.

     "Claws," I repeat.

     "Out."
     "Out."

     He's pulled into the ring, and the next thing I know, I'm in a black cat suit.

     "Stupid kwami," I mutter, "I can't believe I fell for that."

     Since I don't know the de-transformation words, I assume I'm stuck in this suit.  Unless...

     I run to Alya's house and knock on the door.  When Alya opens the door, she screams.

     "Who are you?" she asks me.  I slide off the ring.  "Nino?" she gasps, "How did you get that?"

     "Some superhero called Jade Multia or something dropped it.  She took it from Hawk Moth.  He ended up capturing her, though.  Her and Aspik," I tell her.

     "Aspik... That was Adrien... And Marinette left a note saying she was going into battle and if she was near death, I would be the new Guardian..." she whispers.

     "Marinette?  What does she have to do with this?  And what do you mean by Guardian?" I ask.

     She pulls me inside and shuts the door.  "Look, Nino, Marinette was Jade Multia.  She's also the Guardian of the Miracle Box," she says.  She grabs my arm and drags me to Marinette's house.  She pulls out a piece of material with a handprint on it and places it on top of a red-and-black box.  The spots light up, and the box opens to reveal a lot of Miraculous.

     She takes the ring out of my hands and slides it on.  "I call the ring, but other than that and the missing ones, the sky's the limit," she tells me. 

     My eyes scan the box, and I grab the monkey headband. As I do, she grabs the ladybug earrings and slides them on. Plagg jumps in surprise.

"Woah, Rena... I mean Alya... You can't do that! The power could make you loose your mind, or even control you completely!" he yells, "In fact, merging those two together can kill you!"

Alya hesitates for a moment before speaking. "I'd do anything for my best friend," she says, "Plagg, claws out." I watch her transform before Tikki tells me to take cover. I do as she says, and Alya says, "Plagg, Tikki, unify!" There is a huge burst of golden light, and when it dims, Alya is standing in front of me, but she isn't Alya anymore. Her suit is purple and gold. "I am Amethyst."

We stand there in silence for a moment before she screams in pain. I watch her drop to the ground, and I run to her side.

"Nino, take the headband and run," she says, "Plagg was right. I'm starting to loose control. I think it's controlling me."

"Alya, I can't leave you," I say, "I would never forgive myself."

"Go, Nino! Run while you still can!" she screams.

I reach for her earrings, and I'm immediately electrocuted. I say, "Xuppo, showtime!" and run away.

I need to warn everyone about what's coming.