Tanjirō || Rest in Paradise (angst)

Here's a request from @Renee_Rin!
Thank you for requesting!

Here's a request from @Renee_Rin!Thank you for requesting!

(Modern au)

-
-
-

Your back was against the wall as you traced the cracks between the wooden floor with your index finger. You stared lifelessly up at the ceiling as your own thoughts started to eat away at you.

The sound of a phone ringing could be heard echoing off the walls of your bedroom. You lazily picked up the phone, hit the answer button without reading who it was, and held it up to your ear.

"Hello? Y/N? You there?" You heard a familiar voice through the speaker.

"Yeah...I'm here." You say, your voice sounded broken and quiet. You hadn't done anything besides stare blankly at inanimate objects for the past 5 hours, so your voice was hoarse from being so dehydrated.

"How are you feeling?" The boy on the other end said, his voice drummed through your ears.

"Numb." Was all you said, letting your other hand drop to the floor with a small 'thud' sound.

"Oh..." Was all you heard. You sighed as you turned your head to look out your window, and up at the moon.

"I know it's hard. It's really hard...but please don't shut me out. I'm you're best friend. We've been together for years, please don't push me away. I want to help you." He said over the phone, his tone soft and sincere.

There was a long pause, no response coming from you as the aching pain in your heart continued to increase as the seconds went by.

"It sucks." Was all you said, again, only giving a one word answer.

"What does?" The boy said.

"Everything. Everything sucks." You say, your voice cracking in the middle of it. You shut your eyes tightly as you held back tears.

"Zenitsu I can't breathe...or at least that's what it feels like. Like the oxygen has been taken out of my lungs. It hurts." You say, your bottom lip starting to tremble.

"I know. I know." He says. This was the most serious he had ever been since the funeral.

"I can't....I can't do it anymore. I can't even go into our room, I can't bring myself to do it. I've been staying in my old room ever since..." You choked out, leaning your head back against the wall and shutting your eyes tightly.

"But...he wouldn't want me to be sad. Heck, he would scold me if he saw me like this." You let out a pained chuckle, slowly opening your eyes again and looking up at the ceiling.

It was silent on the other end, it was comforting. Zenitsu knew there were no words that could truly comfort you in this moment, the only thing that could comfort you was the sound of the wind blowing past your apartment window. You smiled, finally feeling at peace. You both sat in silence for a few minutes after that.

"Goodnight, Zenitsu." You said softly, hanging up before you could get a response. You felt your phone vibrate in your hand and you checked it, to see a message from him.

'Goodnight, Y/N.'

You smiled slightly before placing your phone down and standing up, finally deciding to go into the bedroom. You had to, in order to finally move on from this all.

You slowly turned the knob, and let the door hit against the wall as you took one step into the dark room. His scent still lingered through the air, sending a strong pang to your heart.

You started to cry once more. You let out choked sobs as you opened the draws and saw his old clothes still sitting there, neatly folded.

You took one of his hoodies and hugged it into your chest, your sobbing getting even louder. Eventually they died down as you grew too tired to do anything.

You forced yourself into the shower and afterwards slipped on some shorts and his hoodie. You tucked yourself under the blankets, your heart aching as you didn't feel the familiar warmth he gave off.

You shut your eyes tightly, and gripped onto his pillow, breathing in his scent which calmed you so greatly. Soon you slipped into the first actually good sleep ever since that day.

You woke up the next morning, staring up at the ceiling. You didn't look to your side, you knew there wouldn't be anything there. Just tangled up sheets and pieces of a grieving lovers heart.

But, you didn't feel sad. You felt almost relieved. You came to realise that, he was no longer in pain. He was no longer fighting with his own demons. He was finally, at peace. He was happy, he could be with his family once again.

You smiled, a warm feeling filling your heart as you imagined him looking back down at you with a loving gaze. You let a tear fall from your eye, not one of sadness, but of happiness.

"Rest in Paradise, Tanjiro Kamado."

-
-
-

AHH!! I'm sorry for being so slack with writing! I just haven't been motivated enough to do so. I'll try and update more! Sorry for any mistakes in the writing but I hope you enjoyed!
Thank you for reading!
Bye!
❤️