Chapter 25 (Blake)

I can't believe we are doing this. I can't believe it at all. I love Cara, don't get me wrong, but the girl doesn't know how we do things around here. She doesn't understand the protocols. I called Xavier to put some sense into her, but Mia was there and only reinforced her point. The world is officially going to hell, and that's a fact.

Anyway, I've been tasked with getting Cara, Nava and Chloe to a safe house. This is at the same time as I'm supposed to be preparing for a rescue mission that is most likely a trap. But I can't just leave the girls, I'm not a horrible person. Plus they're my responsibility so I'll just have to suck it up and work with them.

That's where I'm going now.

"Ladies, It's time to go."

"We need to stay and help. It was my idea that forced you into this. That means it's my responsibility to make sure everyone is okay. If anything, I should be going out." Cara tells me.

"Cara, the thought's sweet and all, but, and I hope this doesn't offend you, but you'll just get in the way. Everybody who's going is a lot better trained."

"But-"

"No 'But's. I'm taking you to a safe house so that I know that all is well with you three and I won't have to worry about you guys."

"You really are hot, Blake," Nava says with a smirk.

"Thank you." I have to keep myself from sighing. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful people compliment me and see my outside looks, I've worked really hard on them. Waking up a dawn every single day to work out. But, you've got to do what you've got to do.

"Anyway, ladies, please collect all of your things and get ready to go. I'm going to call Chloe's parents."

"Why are you calling my parents and not anyone else's?" Chloe asked, turning to Blake.

"Well, uh, for Cara it's not really an option, and Nava is 18 years old and according to her parents, they think that she's on some final before-college vacation with her classmates. Your parents, on the other hand, have been breathing down my neck for the last 4 hours, asking what was going on with you. I'll give them a short story."

"Fine. Pass a 'hello' from me. 'Kay?"

"Of course." With that, I left the girls to collect their things that had somehow found their way all around the lounge. I don't get it they've been here for all of 4 hours! And they knew they weren't staying. It is a public longe after all. The greatest mystery of the world: women.

While I was getting my things together, I called Chloe's parents.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis. Uhh huh, yes, Chloe is safe. We're sending her to a safe house. Armed guards will be present. No, there is nothing for you to worry about. Of course. I understand. Goodnight. Yes, I'll keep you updated." It wasn't a very long conversation. They just kept asking me questions about how Cloe was holding up. They forced me into telling them I'd keep an eye on her, which I agreed too and would have dome anyway. It's sweet. Her parents really do care about her.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm in a car, driving three teenage girls to a safehouse That's close enough to the city to be within our range, but far enough that no one would think to look there.

When we arrive, I can tell that Cara is really unhappy about me leaving. I know she cares, but I've got to do my job, and she'll have to do hers. And, right now, my job is protecting her.

Talia is waiting for me when I get back. She somehow managed to talk her own parents into letting her join me on this mission. I'm pretty sure the words 'eighteen', 'years of training' and 'Blake' wee thrown around a lot in that particular conversation. Why I was in it, is a  question I'll have for all eternity.

"Come on Blake, we're already behind, and we have to go get a snobby rich kid out of trouble." She tells me.

"You know agents aren't allowed to call their clients 'snobby' or literally anything else other than amazing."

"What, are you going to tell anyone?" She gives me a strange look.

"Nope," I say with a smirk. We aren't mean by any means, but rich people really do annoy me sometimes. Yet I spend my life guarding then, odd.

"This really is calm. I can't believe we're about to go out and probably get trapped, and we're acting like it's nothing. " She says. I can't help but agree with her.

"You think? Oh well, a bit of breathing won't hurt anyone. Have you ever been on missions such as this one?" I ask her.

"Not quite to this scale. My parents were guarding this family way back when, and I decided I was going to help. I already had the training, and my parents were still field operatives back then."

"I sense a 'but' coming," I said.

"I had a crush on their daughter. I don't think I actually wanted to help them, I just wanted to see the girl." She told me.

"You know dating clients is dangerous," I tell her.

"Now I know. I guess being 14 and being told that you'll likely never see the person you like ever again really snaps you out of your haze. At least, it did for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for that experience, but it hurt like hell at the time. No more dating or even crushing on clients for me. It's not worth the effort."

We arrive at the armoury. All agents are allowed to carry a handgun and a few knives, but only the basic kind. So, for missions like this, we get to raid Witness Protection's armoury and pick out some new toys. It's one of the best parts of the job, but don't let Alan or my parents hear me say that. They're old school: saving people and BS like that.

I'm kidding. But new toys are fun.

After picking out what we need we head back to meet with the rest of our team for this mission.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I know the mission that we are going on right now is... how to put it, odd. However, we need to do what we must. This means that we need to work hard, work together and help one another. Everyone is going to make it out, am I understood."

A chorus of "Yes Sir!" was immediately directed at me.

Now all that we could do was wait, and hopefully, that wouldn't take to long. The advance scouts had already been sent out thirty minutes ago, while I was driving the girls.

Luckily for us, we didn't have to wait too long as not even five minutes later I received a message from the scouts and the go-ahead from the director.

W all load up in the vehicles that have been provided for us, and then we head to our location. Talia is my partner for this mission as everyone else has their assigned partner and I do not. But I don't have a problem with her, and I know she's as well trained as I am, despite not being an active field agent.

The two of us are going to go in first. Me because I'm the leader of this mission and in unknown cases such as this one, I will not lead the 'troops' straight to their deaths. It isn't fair. They shouldn't be doing anything I myself wouldn't do. Lead by example, I've always been told.

As soon as we enter Zach's house, it's really quiet.

Walking towards the living room we find something we didn't expect: Zach staring at us, wide-eyed and terrified. I come up to him and pull town the cloth that's in front of his mouth.

"They're gone. They knew you were coming!"

The three of us look at each other.

*************************************

First Published November 10th, 2019

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I'm so sorry that it's so short, but I promise you that next week's chapter is super long! (Yes, it's already written. 😊)

Anyway, if you enjoyed this chapter, then please consider leaving a comment and a vote!

Happy reading!

Dani💙