Chapter 28 (Xavier)

I'm on a plane flying to New York. Mia's jabbering on and on in my ear, but, it's really hard to concentrate when all I can think about is Blake and if he's been sent to his death.

The problem with being an agent is that you basically can't date anybody.

You can't date outside of the agency because you literally will not be able to talk to your partner about anything. Your life revolves around work, so you'll likely never see your partner because you could be in any city, state or country ant any given moment. And you can't take them along.  Also, most agents have a higher IQ than most people and need the time to have intellectual conversations. Marry a doctor or a scientist, but there's only so many to go around. They'll be able to talk to you about their work, but you can't say a word about your own. Secrets keep your marriage afloat. Am I right? Note the sarcasm. And you barely have time for anything. You'll see them on your wedding day but never again? That's definitely the key to a healthy relationship. And don't get me started on worrying. How many times are you going to leave and they'll receive a call from another country, likely in a foreign language telling them you got shot or got hurt. Hell, Mia went to a high school sleepover and got hospitalized. And it gets worse way worse. I for one would never want to put my partner through that.

And if you date an agent? Well, everything I mentioned above applies. But it goes both ways. You still can't talk about work, unless you have special permission from the director. And in this situation, you kind of know what type of work your significant other engages in. Which really doesn't help anyone.

Ugh! What am I going to do! I need to talk to Blake's parents. Their both agents and I've known them forever.

Suddenly, I feel someone shaking me out of my daydream, or a nightmare depending on how you look at it.

"Sir, you need to see this." The agent tells me. Even Mia, who was busy chatting and scrolling on her phone looks up to me. She comes and joins me on the couch.

I wonder what this is about.

Alexandra Mills appears on the screen. Oh good god. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

"Hello, agents! A pleasure to see you all again. Well, you can see me, I can't see you. So sad. Anyway, I'm sure all of you can recognize this place!"

She turns the camera around and I find myself staring at the ballroom at home. Well, at HQ.

"You figured it out yet? Of course, you have! At least some of you must have brains!" I have the urge to look at Mia, but my eyes are glued to the screen. I won't dare look away. "I also have a few guests here. I'm sure you know who they are!"

She points the camera behind her. I see the Lewises, Blake's parents, Albert, Maggie and Alan. How did she get Alan? There are also a bunch of other agents there. She seems to have every single agent in captivity. Last but certainly, I see the person that makes my blood boil.

My mom.

I'm livid. I need to turn back now. I start to get up, but I feel a hand placed on my shoulder.

"Zavy. Calm down." Mia tells me.

"But-" I begin

"I know she's your mom and you're grateful for everything and all that, but you can't help if you're captured or killed. Get your head back in the game. We'll regroup with Blake and the others and proceed from there. Now. Concentrate."

It's not that I'm terrified of Mia, It's just that she has an amazing way with words.

Oh who am I kidding, Mia terrifies me. Yet somehow she's one of my best friends.