Chapter 32

It's been a little bit tense ever since Zach went to g peak with his parents. He still doesn't want to say anything, and I'm not going to push him.

Apparently, witness protection has the police on speed dial, not that I'm truly surprised, and soon enough they come and take Zach's parents away. He doesn't even say goodbye.

I'm watching them being taken away when an officer comes up to me and starts asking me questions. 

"Hello miss. York, I'm officer Sonno with the NYPD. I have a few questions to ask you if that would be alright. If you'd like a lawyer, we can provide you with one." the officer tells me.

"No, it's alright. Please ask what you wish." Luckily, as I'm saying this Mia comes up to stand beside me. The officer gives her a questioning gaze.

"I'm agent Amelia Dale, I'm supervising this operation from here. Please proceed."

"Of course. I'm sorry." the officer says as he turns back to me, "Miss. York, who are those people. From your point of view, that is?"

"They are Zachary and Marianne Stevenson, they were my late parents' friends and business partners. That is, up until they killed them." I tell the officer with a completely straight face.

"Now, miss. York, this is a very serious accusation. Do you have any proof." He says this while continuing to write things down on his notepad.

"Yes, we do," I say as I turn to Mia.

"Officer Sonno was it? We've already sent over the evidence. You'll be able to find it as soon as you return to the station. It should be on your servers. Also, for your information, the Stevensons confessed during the investigation we carried out."

"Alright, thank you very much agent Dale, miss. York. Have a good day." He said as he left us.

"'A good day' he says. Ha! If only he knew how much paperwork we're all going to have to do now." Mia exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Even me?" I ask, not because I don't want to help, but because I have so much work I need to do here. In order to restore my family's company that is.

"I know you have things to do, but there is the whole ordeal called a psych check, as well as a whole bunch of other tests you need to go through. Also, we need to settle a few things from your other identities. It's a whole mess."

"I get it. I'll do what you need me to do. I think I'm going to have to hire an assistant though." I say with a smile, trying to break the tension.

"An assistant? More like you'll need five." Mia responds with a laugh. She then leaves me to go back inside. Probably trying to get a head start on the paperwork, or maybe update Blake and Xavier on the goings-on of what happened here.

Before I'm able to get anything done, Talia comes up to me, dragging Zach by the arm, and tells me that we have to get back to the safehouse.

"It's to 'cool down'. All of you need a break after all of this excitement. Come on. Mia managed to get us a car."

"I'm driving," I tell her. They did a lot of work, I should help out even if it's only this.

"While I'd truly love that, You'd need to be an agent to get passed all of the security barriers, and, it's easier when we take control. But next time we get to New York, you'll definitely be driving us around." Tal tells me.

"Unless she has a chauffeur by then," Zach says sarcastically, adding a wink at the end of the sentence. All of us break into laughter.

A guard then waves us over, leading us to the open door of a car, of which Mia climbs into the driver's seat, and Tal into the front passenger seat.

We barely get through the door when someone shoves the phone into MIa's hands, not giving any of us an explanation. I only catch a little bit of the conversation.

"You need to get back immediately. And Bring Chloe!" Who is it? And why do they need Chloe? That's all I hear, and not fifteen seconds later, Mia is turning back to us.

"Get your stuff together! There's no time to rest! Come on! We need to act quickly. I'll explain everything on the plane." That's when the room goes up in chaos.

It would be a lot later, days later, when I was just about to pass out from exhaustion, that I would realize that what was happening, was my actual, real life. Over the last few weeks, it's gone from crazy, to absolutely insane. Just when I thought things would start to get better, just when I thought I could go back to what I was supposed to be doing (being a CEO), more crazy things happen.

All I know is that I may have been born as some 'rich girl' from New York, but over the last twelve years, things have changed. Drastically. Now, I can actually do things. I've survived and seen much, much more than anyone ever thought I was capable.

I may not be as strong as Mia or Blake or Xavier, or as courageous as Talia, Nava, or Chloe, all of whom got involved either by choice or not. However, I think what I learnt the most from my life is those bad things happen, to good and bad people alike. I've learnt that life isn't fair.

Anyways, when we get on the plane, all of us are able to take a breath. At least, up until Mia tells us what happened.

"They, Blake and Zavy and the others I mean, we're able to successfully take the Mills into custody. Everyone working for them will be interrogated and punished, although it really depends on them for what that punishment will be. Everyone was imprisoned, everyone except for Sasha."

"So why are we going back if that psychotic bitch is still on the loose. She tried to kill Cara!" Exclaims Chloe.

"It's just, she's inside the building, and she's taken your brother hostage," Mia said, casually, as if she was trying to avoid telling us what was actually going on.

"What!" Nava reacted before any of the rest of us.

"What do you mean Sasha has my brother? Is he okay? Why isn't anyone doing anything to stop her? To find him?" Chloe was hyperventilating by now. I reached over to hold her hand.

"They know where he is, but Sasha is threatening to kill him if any of them come in," Mia tells her. "They think you can talk to her."

"But what can I do? Frankly, she absolutely despises me."

"While that may be the case, you are also her boyfriend's sister. Ex-boyfriend, that is. Anyway, due to Blake 'joining' their group back during your school days,  he can conclusively say that Sasha really does love Ryan, so she most likely won't hurt him or do anything to you. Because Ryan loves you, and she doesn't want him to hate her." Mia finishes explaining.

Suddenly, Chloe's involvement does make sense. Then Mia turns to me.

"Cara, you're going to have to be careful when we land. There are still people that might wish you harm. Remember what I taught you, even though Blake is going to go back to accompany you. You're about to be entered into a length, let me emphasize lengthy, legal battle." Mia says.

"Oh I'm so looking forward to it," I say with a sigh.

This was it. The final battle. After this, it was all going to be over. All of my pain and suffering were coming down to this.

And luckily enough, or maybe not, the plane was just about to touch down.

******************

First Published January 5th, 2020

Hey Guys!

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. As you may have noticed, the week I published 3 chapters in one go. Once again, I'm sorry for the delay.

Anyway, if you think this chapter deserves it, please leave a vote and a comment.

Happy reading!

Dani💙

P.S. Just a small announcement, this story will have 35 chapters, plus an epilogue. That means, after these three chapters, 4 more will be published. I hope you enjoyed this emotional rollercoaster of a story, and I hope you stick with it until the end. I can't believe I've been working on this project for 6 months! Thank you all for sticking by it, for however long you've been around.