Chapter 34 (Sasha)

One moment, I'm in a library with the Lewis twins. The next, everything goes blank. And the third, I'm waking up on a cold, uncomfortable bed in a tiny little room.

It takes me a few seconds to orient myself. Like, where am I? What's going on?

I'm in prison.

That realization hits me like a brick.

Just then, the next realization hits me. I could hear my parents. And not faintly. Their voices are actually quite prominent.

I thought prisoners weren't allowed to be together. And the walls should be thick enough for the voices not to pass through. So, maybe I'm not in prison? Then where the hell am I?

"Good, you're awake." A voice suddenly comes my right. I look and see that the huge, heavy-looking titanium door has opened and a guard has stepped through. " Can you please shut your parents up, they are disturbing everyone around. And some of the guards are starting to get headaches from the loud bickering. It's truly quite annoying."

"Huh?" I ask, still not fully comprehending the situation.

"You're all in prison for a whole list of crimes. Obviously, it's one prisoner per cell, so we had to split Mr. and Mrs. Mills. But they are arguing, trying to make themselves heard by the other over these apparently not sound-proof enough walls." The poor guard tells me.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I tell him.

"If you make them be quiet, you'll have nothing to be sorry about. Well, for your parents' obnoxiousness. There is other stuff."

I nodded. "Ok." Why would I resist? I've already lost, I should just accept defeat. Plus, I've been conscious for a grand total of two minutes, and already my parents' voices are making me nauseous. That, or I really hit my head yesterday in the library.

"Ok, up you go." The guard told me, and I obeyed. "Put your hands out in front of you, wrists facing upwards."

I was about to ask why when I saw what he had reached for. Handcuffs. The guard was going to bind my hands together. I just sighed.

"Let's get this over with," I say as he walks me out of my cell. I see that I'm placed at the end of a short hallway with cells on either side of it. My parents are placed beside one another, a few doors down from me, on the opposite end of the hall.

God, this place is so drab and gray. It's honestly depressing. But, I guess I can't say anything, this is a prison after all.

"Knock, knock," the guard says as he knocks on the door. Another guard, who was posted between my parents comes and opens the door to my mom's cell.

"What!" My mother's shriek as she turns her head towards me. "Oh hello, sweetheart. Why have they let you out?"

No "I missed you." or "How are you feeling?" I guess even after defeat when she doesn't need to put up an air anymore, she still does t. Treats me as if I'm some stranger and not her daughter.

"They wanted me to tell you that you and dad are bothering all of the other prisoners. They want you two to quiet down."

"Well, they should just let us be together. Then we could argue in private." She tells me, with an air of haughtiness around her.

"You know they can't do that mom. We broke the law. We hurt people. We need to pay. Please, just stop. It's for your own good." I tell my mother, looking down.

"Wow, Alexandra. Two days in prison and you've already given up. I'm going to talk to a lawyer, get all of us out, and sue Carolina and the others for all they're worth."