Chapter 31.

Vote and comment 💘

E M I L I A N O

" Romeo, Emiliano doesn't abuse me... Well he does, but not badly. "I heard her say with a slight waver in her voice. I stopped moving to hear what they were saying more clearly.

" He does care and I know I push his buttons all the time, but what happens after that is all my fault." she spoke clearly as if she was trying to convince herself.

"No. Alessandra. Men don't hit women when they're angry. It's not okay and you shouldn't believe that it is." he insisted taking her hands.

She paused as if she was thinking over something before she spoke again.

" Emiliano treats me better that I've ever been treated before. Being choked a couple of times doesn't compare to before and I would gladly live with this than go back to what I'm used to. And he only hurt me because he thought I would get an abortion" she said not noticing as tears flooded from her eyes.

"Your pregnant?" he asked, but use just shook her head.

My heart clenched painfully as I realized what they were talking about. Me.

"King is a good person". Wrong.

"I know he doesn't mean to when he hurts you". I don't.

"He cares about you a lot". I do.

"But the bruise on your neck shouldn't be there. And you know it". He finished rubbing the tears from under her eyes.

She shook her head feverishly hitting his hand away.

"Emiliano. Doesn't. Hurt. Me" she snapped standing up and running to the stairs.

Romeo leaned back into the chair and rubbed his hands over his face before he too left.

I stayed still in my spot still think over what he had said to her. I felt a sense of guilt churn inside me as I realized how bad I was for her. She was abused all her life and here I came only to do the exact same thing, just a little more gently.

I was no good for her.

And there was that threat he had received just a few days earlier.

Her only way forward is if you let her go.

It's the only way she'll realize her worth and the only way to keep her safe.

My subconscious was right. I had to let her go.

I spent the rest of the day holding her in my arms while she slept, knowing it would be the last time.

I didn't leave her for a second even when the morning came and we sat down to eat together.

The way Romeo was looking from Alessandra's neck to my hands that were entangled with hers made me feel sick to my stomach. Those now faded marks on her body were because of me.

"Alessandra. We have to talk after this... In my office" I murmured to her as my throat became thick.

I had to do it. She was better off without me. But I couldn't find the strength to actually do it. They way I felt..it was never clear. But with Alessandra all I felt was need. The need to be with her all the time. That was a weakness, she was my weakness, but at the same time, she was my greatest strength.

She needed to leave, maybe not forever, but until it was safe for her again.

I sighed and went up to my office leaving her to finish eating. I sat staring at the door for what felt like hours before it was pushed opened by the woman who had become a big factor in my life over a short period of time. She must have noticed how off I felt because she didn't make a single sound as she sat down, almost as if she knew what was coming.

I didn't know if I was being delusional or if the wet gleam in her eyes from unused tears was really there. Oh God, please don't let her cry. That's all I need. No tears.

I spent a good portion of my time just staring at her beautiful features, I would probably never see her again. She'd probably marry someone else. Her birthday was in 4 days and my gift to her would be a broken heart.

Shut up, Emiliano.  You know her heart won't break. She doesn't love you.

I cursed my subconscious for pulling me out of the world where we could be together. My dreams.

"Alessandra, you know there's no way for me to make this easy." I began already feeling am unwelcomed wave of emotion course through me.

"You want me to leave" she said, her face cold and emotionless except for the lone tear the fell from her eye.

"Why?" she asked her voice breaking just like the cold thing inside my chest. It was a painful scene, seeing her slowly break down in front of me. Like glass. She shattered. Fragile glass and I broke her.

"Alessandra...please" I pleaded painfully not able to withstand the pain in my chest.

"But I love you" she sobbed. Or screamed. I couldn't tell anymore.

"I'm not good for you, you have to understand. We could only end in one way." I argued back not actually taking in what she said.

She jumped up,  knocking the chair she was sitting on backwards.

"Listen to me. I fucking love you. " she yelled in anger, but it wasn't enough to keep the pain she was feeling away.

"You, little girl, don't know what love is" I spat standing up as well, " you can't love me if you don't love yourself, Alessandra. Think about that". I sighed rubbing the wetness from my eyes. She told me she loved, but I rejected her.

"I'm not a fucking child. I have been through more than half the other girls my age and older.  You would never understand what the skeletons in my closet are like." but I do, I thought to myself. "I have never loved anyone but myself, so how dare you take me for granted. " she shouted at me and I knew the whole house would probably have been able to hear our conversation, but my office is sound proof.

"That's not what I'm doing, Cariño. I'm giving you an option so you can see more than what's on the surface of the world. Not everything is pain. "

"I know that" she whispered , " what I felt for you felt like nothing but love and happiness . But even you found away to completely destroy that and break me in the process. So thank you for showing me the real world  Emiliano. We will never meet again and I hope you rot in hell. You selfish , arrogant pig, because I fucking hate you."

" Alessandra. You will thank me one day. "

"I fucking won't" she screamed as she stormed out the door.

The door slammed shut and she was gone, leaving a gaping hole inside me.

But that was what I wanted.