Chapter 47.

E M I L I A N O

I took deep calming breaths as I sat on my office floor.
I took the letter out and slowly read it again.

Dear Milio

If you are reading this then it means my plan really did fail, like I thought it would. I'm sorry I dragged you with me through it all because I was too much of a coward to do it alone. I wrote you this letter because I want you to know that whatever happens in the future, it is my choice. If I die it because I choose to die even if its you father who kills me, don't blame him please.

The truth is that I have stage 4 heart cancer and its beyond repair. Your father begged me to at least try, but I don't want to suffer in my last moments. I have accepted it, but he hasn't and I don't think he ever will. He hates me now. He hates me because I only have a week left before my heart fails and I refuse to do anything about it.

He is a bad man Emiliano. You of all people know he is, but I want you to forgive him because you and I both know that he has always loved his family. Even so, he'll kill me for trying to leave him. It's the law of the mafia. the only way out is death and I knew what I signed up for when I took my oath in blood.

I love you. I love your sister. And I love your father, but in the end I don't want to suffer by the fate God chose for me. I am a coward, but I hope you understand.

Your father was going to force me to have a procedure done. That's why I'm going to try to run. But if I don't make it I want him to kill me and make it quick. This is what I wanted. Please don't blame him. You know how stubborn I can be and please try and  understand why I chose what I did in the end.

I know no matter what I'm going to die anyways. I can only selfishly pray that it's by your father hand.

love,
Mama.

I didn't want to believe that my mother would do that. That she wanted to die. That she had cancer. I just didn't want to. It was so easy blaming my father.

I sighed and rubbed my hands over my face, making a mental note to visit my family house first thing tomorrow after the appointment with Dr Tobias.
I sighed and unlocked my office door, walking around looking for Alessandra.

I hope she isn't mad at me.

I looked and looked and couldn't find her. Eventually i saw Diego on the couch talking to someone on the phone. I didn't even bother waiting for him to finish with his conversation because I was anxious and worried that Alessandra had left somewhere.

"Diego. Do you know where Alessandra is?"

He said just kept quiet and handed me his phone before running out of the room. What the fuck?

"Alessandra. Where are you?" I demanded. There was a brief pause before I heard her voice.

"Emiliano." I could hear how breathless she was just from the sound of my voice and fuck me if it didn't turn me on.

"I'm at my father's house...you can come get me if you want. Maybe you can even meet him" she said. I heard the sound of a door closing in the background and new she had just gotten out of the car.