Growing closer

Over the next couple of months Betty and Jughead grew really close, which annoyed Veronica a lot. She was still desperately trying to get Jughead's attention, and Betty thought it was getting a bit sad. She would constantly wink at him or casually bump into him in the hallway. Then she would laugh at almost every word he said, like it was the funniest joke, she had ever heard. Betty was getting really tired of her behaviour but continued not to say anything.

While her and Veronica's friendship had gotten worse, her and Jughead had been talking a lot lately. As they grew closer, her feelings for him also grew, but she was too afraid to tell him. They had yet to talk about, what happened in the blue and gold office, and almost three months had passed. Every time one of them would bring it up, they would get scared and change the subject.

It was now Friday, and they were sitting in a booth at pops, talking and laughing.

- So I was thinking, are you doing anything this weekend? Jughead suddenly asked.

- I don't think so, why?

- Oh you know, I was just thinking we could hang out. Watch a movie or something?

- Sure we could do that, Betty said and smiled.

She wished, she could just tell him how she felt, but she was afraid of his reaction. Besides they had become very close, and she didn't want to mess that up. Even though she was dying on the inside, she was happy to at least be his friend.

- Earth to Betty, you okay? You just kinda zoomed out

She hadn't realised that Jughead had been talking to her and trying to get her attention.

- I'm fine, I was just thinking about my mom

- Oh, what's Alice up to these days? Done anything crazy lately?

- I mean nothing other than being extremely unreasonable and yelling at me every time I get home just a couple of minutes late.

- If you want, you can stay at my house tonight? We have a guest room and you're more than welcome to sleep there. That way you don't have to see your mom. Besides, my parents love you.

- I would really appreciate that Jug, thank you.

- And I don't think they love me

- They talk about you all the time, sometimes I even think they love you more than me, he said, which made her smile sadly at him.

- Don't say that Jug, they love you, okay?

- Yeah I know

He shrugged his shoulders, and they continued their conversation, until their food arrived.

- Seriously how can you eat all that?! She laughed at him.

- I can't, but you always eat half of my food anyway

She blushed and looked down.

- I think you're one of the only girls I've ever seen eat that much, he laughed at her.

- What can I say, I just like eating, she said while taking a sip of her vanilla milkshake.

What she didn't want Jughead to know was, that she almost never ate at home, because her mom always commented on her weight, which made her feel a little bad about herself. It wasn't that bad, but she still didn't want him to know.