Late

- Hurry up! Betty yelled.

It was already 7:54 AM. They had overslept, and since school started at 8, they needed to hurry.

- Coming! Jughead yelled back and stumbled down the stairs.

He threw his bag over his shoulder, as they ran out the door.

- Omg, we're so late!

Betty was freaking out, she was almost never late, and if her mom found out... She would rather not think about that.

- Relax, it's Monday. Everyone's late.

- I'm not!

She was running as fast as she could, and Jughead was trying to keep up with her.

- Seriously. Calm down, what's the big deal?

- It's just my-

Betty suddenly stopped running.

- Your what?

Jughead looked at her confused.

- My... English teacher, he's gonna be so mad, Betty lied, and Jughead looked at her with disbelief.

- Aha, and what's the real reason?

- What do you mean?

- First off, Betty, I know you. All of our teachers love you, there's no way they'd get mad. Second, our English teacher's a she.

She had been caught and knew, she had to confess.

- Fine. It's my mom.

- Your mom?

- She's been very stressed lately.

- Stressed? Jughead asked again.

- Yeah, she's been kinda strict. Yelling a lot.

- And you're okay with that?

Betty looked down at her hands.

- Well... she has been kinda mean lately, but you know, she's my mom so.

- And why didn't you tell me?

- I don't know, I guess I just didn't want to feel like a victim.

Jughead pulled her head up to look at him.

- You don't always have to be that strong, you know. It's okay to be vulnerable sometimes.

She smiled at him, and for a minute they just stood there, starring into each other's eyes. Suddenly Betty realised the time.

- Omg! We need to run!

And just like that the moment was over. They quickly ran and within five minutes they arrived at school. They hurried up the stairs, as the school-bell rang.