Chapter 2 - Recruiting Ashton

December 2, 2011

Age 15

I was at the mall with my friend, Katie, during the summer. As we walked out of one of our favorite stores, Victoria's Secret, I bumped into a guy that I knew from school.

His name was Ashton Irwin.

"Ashton, right?" I asked, pretty sure that was him.

"Yeah, it is! You're Maddison, right?" He wondered.

"Yep," I replied.

"How would you like to come over to my house this evening?" He asked, randomly.

"I-I'd love to, but why?" Did I seriously just ask why Ashton Irwin wanted me to come to his house?

"I think you're really cool."

"Really?" I said whilst giggling. He was so cute.

"Yeah, you want to go to my house now?"

"Um, Katie, can I?"

"Maddie, he is 2 years older than us, he thinks you're 'cool', and he's asking you to his house! Of course!" She whispered in my ear.

"Well, I guess we'll be going then!" He said; he must've heard Katie!

When we got to Ashton's house, I met his mom, brother, and sister, but I didn't meet his dad.

"Ashton, where's your dad?" I asked while in his living room.

"It's a long story," he said, playing with his thumbs.

"Oh, I'm sorry I brought that up"

"It's okay," he shrugged, creating an awkward silence before continuing, "Do you want to go into the basement?"

"Sure," I nodded, not sure of what to say. When we got to the basement, I saw a drum set.

"You play drums?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah. Ever since I was 8. That's when I got this drum set," he smiled, looking between me and the drum set.

"Cool!" I immediately thought about 5 Seconds of Summer, Luke's band. They'd been looking for a drummer. I decided to ask him about it, "would you want to be in a band with Luke Hemmings, Michael Clifford, and Calum Hood in 10th grade called 5 Seconds Of Summer? They're looking for a drummer."

"I'll have to talk to them about that" he smiled and seemed interested.

*Ashton's POV*

A little while later, Maddison left, and I stayed in the basement just thinking. My mum yelled down to me, "Ash! Dinners ready!"

"I'll be up in a minute, mum!" I yelled back.

I ran up the stairs and sat down at the table where Lauren, Harry, and mum were already sitting.

"How was your date?" Lauren raised her eyebrows.

"Lauren, it wasn't a date" I defended.

"Okay.." Lauren said, and mum smiled.

"What mum?" I asked

"Oh nothing," she shrugged it off, still smiling.

"Is it about Maddison?" I wondered.

"Maybe," she started and raised her eyebrows, "you two would make a cute couple."

"Okay, mum," I rolled my eyes, wondering why she was thinking about us being a great couple. We're only friends.

Once I finished my dinner, I walked into the kitchen where my mum was washing dishes.