finding my soulmate- Virgil's POV

I laid in bed staring at the ceiling for what seemed like eternity. But I've only been awake for about five minutes. It was about 4 am and I didn't feel like doing anything. The only thing I could do right now is play my guitar but dad might hear and he might get mad at me for waking him up.

Fuck it.

I quietly got out of bed and made my way over to my closet. I opened the door and grabbed my guitar. I already knew what song I was gonna play...it's the only song I know every word too. My soulmate song. As much as I hate the thought of being forced to love someone, I couldn't help but love the amazing songs that came with the random people the universe paired you with.

"You and I, we're like fireworks and symphonies exploding in the sky

With you, I'm alive
Like all the missing pieces of my heart, they finally collide

So stop time right here in the moonlight
'Cause I don't ever wanna close my eyes"

I stopped for a small moment when I thought I heard footsteps but everything was silent so I continued singing.

"Without you, I feel broke

Like I'm half of a whole
Without you, I've got no hand to hold
Without you, I feel torn
Like a sail in a storm
Without you, I'm just a sad song
I'm just a sad song"

I hummed the next part of the song. I smiled as I did but I couldn't stop the bits of tears coming. Soulmate songs are duets so you can sing them together but I haven't found mine yet. At least I have one. There are stories in history that tell of people that haven't had soulmates or lost their soulmates before they even met them...just like.....I smiled to myself as a few more tears ran down my face and started singing again.

"Without you, I feel broke
Like I'm half of a whole
Without you, I've got no hand to hold
Without you, I feel torn
Like a sail in a storm
Without you, I'm just a sad song

You're the perfect melody
The only harmony I wanna hear
You're my favourite part of me
With you standing next to me
I've got nothing to fear

Without you, I feel broke
Like I'm half of a whole
(insert humming)
Without you, I feel torn
Like a sail in a storm
Without you, I'm just a sad song

Without you, I feel broke
Like I'm half of a whole
Without you, I've got no hand to hold
Without you, I feel torn
Like a sail in a storm
Without you, I'm just a sad song, I'm just a sad song"

I strummed the last but of the song and smiled as the last few tears finished rolling down my cheeks. I smiled to myself and laid the guitar on my lap. All was peaceful... then there was clapping.

I quickly looked up and turned to my door to see my father and brother in the doorway. "Not how I'm usually woken up but I liked it, son." My father walked over to me and sat down on the floor beside me leaning on my bed.

"Good job lil bro" My brother ruffled my hair and sat on the other side of me. "What time is it anyways?" He asked rubbing his eyes.

"around 4:15. Still better than when...that happened." My father leaned his head on my mattress and closed his eyes. I looked up at my brother and he only looked down at me. Neither of us knew what to do. Sure this has been happening for a long time but neither of us knew how to comfort father. He barely ever did this in front of us and when he did, he quickly made a joke to distract himself. I pulled my knees up to my chest and slightly hugged myself. I felt myself drifting back into the abyss of sleep. Right before I did fall asleep I heard father say something. "-in bed. You too. Tomorrow's an important da-"