Patriarchy over Matriarchy.

We all sit in the study, silence overcoming us

We all sit in the study, silence overcoming us. I take the journal my mother had given me whilst Bjorn and Cedric play cards. I peer up at Ivar who eats a piece of bread, watching his brother. I look over to Cedric whom is peering at me. I clear my throat and look to my book again.

He speaks up. "You are to stay here while we fight my father and his army." He says as he looks at the cards. I look to him and close my book harshly. Ivar makes a face and then looks to the ground.

"What do you mean stay here? This is in my blood." I set the book down and stand. "Bjorn and I were speaking that if we were to both go. And you nor I survived. Whom would hold the kingdom?" He looks to me and sets a card down. "We have no children." He states and I place my hands to my hips. "Then why shouldn't I go? You could stay." I furrow my brows.

He clenches his fist and looks to me. "It's not my castle to take." He looks at me and I look to Bjorn who is leaned back in the chair. "So you make decisions for my kingdom?" I shake my head and step out.

I start stepping to the throne room to sit and process. How could they do this behind my back? I rest my chin on my palm and close my eyes for a moment.

I hear the door open to reveal Ivar. He steps to me and I open my eyes to look at him. He sits beside me in the throne that lies next to me. "I don't agree with them." He speaks and looks at me. "You are a strong woman. Much like a shield maiden." I keep quiet and shake my head. "But they are right.. I would rather you be Queen. Who would I come visit if I were to ever steal this kingdom?" He grins and rests his chin on his fist.

"Steal my kingdom?" I look at him and stand quickly, pulling a dagger from my belt, pressing it to his throat. He lets out a laugh and looks at me dead in the eyes with his blue ones. "There is the Queen I know." He smiles and tilts his head to the side. "Now what are we to do about getting you on that battlefield?" He pushes the knife away and looks at me.

We sit there for moments speaking of what our plan is. It will work. For sure. Then my husband can come home with me. Ivar looks to me as I move my hair to behind me. "Why marry him?" He speaks and licks his lips. "Why are you questioning me Ivar?" I tilt my head to the side. "Because I was hoping to come back to a single woman." He speaks with intent. "I needed his help. Then fell in love with him. It's simple." I stand and step down the steps. "Come. We must go eat." I nod and he stands.

"I would've loved you better than him." He nods and steps beside me. "I'm sure you would have." I nod and hold my hands infront of me. "Who was that woman you killed?" He says as he opens the door for me and raises a brow. "No one." I look back to him and then my husband who waits at the table. He furrows his brows and sips from his wine.

I place my hand on Ivar as arm and look to him. "Thank you for being the only one to believe in me." He nods to me with a grin, looking to my husband. I step to the seat that is beside Cedric and sit. "You're late. What did the cripple speak to you about?" I look to him and place my hand on his. "That you were right." I nod and lie to him. "He agrees that I should stay." I place my hand to his cheek and nod. "It's better that I stay anyways." I look to him then sip my wine, looking to Bjorn. He knows something is up. You can tell by the way he looks at me and then Ivar.

•

Once dinner has done

Once dinner has done. I stand and step to my room. I peel the dress from my body and step into the hot bath, sinking into it. Cedric takes a seat in a chair, looking towards the fireplace with thought in his mind. I move up from under the water and push my hair back, watching him. He looks over to me and smiles. "You can join me if you wish." I speak and run my hands through the water. He hums and looks at me. He stands and steps to me, pulling his clothes from his body.

He sets in behind me and I lean my back against him. I move my hair to the side and look at him. "I love you. Be safe tomorrow." I speak to him and run my fingers against his cheek. "I love you more." He speaks softly and kisses my shoulder.

I look over and look out of the window, peering at the sky. "Do you think my father would be proud of me?" I speak softly and rest my arms and head on the side of the tub. His fingers move to caress my back. "I know he would. He put faith in you to rule whilst sick. Mine would never.." he speaks and moves my wet hair.

I look to him and hum. "You are so good at it." I speak and move to the other side of the tub, looking at him. "Not as good as you. You don't wince at anything. You're strong. You're beautiful." I watch him speak and sit up slightly, kissing his chest to his lips. "Focus on getting back to me tomorrow my love." I look at him and sigh softly.

I feel bad for our plan that is set for tomorrow but it will save them. I can fight just as much as the next Viking.

We stand from the tub and dry ourselves off not bothering with the clothing. We lay in bed and look at each other. "I want you to bare my child." He speaks softly and I lay on my back, sighing. After all the times we have tried. I haven't been able to bare one. I look to him and hold his hand. "But I know.. We have tried several times.." I move to lay on my other side away from him. I can feel the tears build up but I push them away.

I feel him wrap his arms around me and hold me close. "Goodnight my Queen." He speaks and I close my eyes.

I wake suddenly. Covered in blood. I step over the bodies that lay to the ground. Ivar. Bjorn. Cedrics. Everyone I have met along the journey. I look down to my hand and see the blood cover knife with a man in the distance.

He looks to me with one eye and a black cloak. There stood beside him is Ragnar and my mother. I try to walk to them but it is as if the sea of bodies slows me down.

I try to scream but no sound can be heard. I look to down as I see blood cover my dress and the faint cries of a child. I start crying as trying to reach my mother for a hug. The ones where she would hold me and kiss my head.

But alas. Darkness consumes me.