Mother.

We walk through the grounds, the wet mud sloshing under our boots

We walk through the grounds, the wet mud sloshing under our boots. We make our way through the town and I grip my hilt, knowing someone could easily try and kill me.

I look over to my right as I watch Eerikki sword fighting against someone. I furrow my brows and watch as he is harsh with his swings. I cross my arms and tilt my head to the side. "Who trained him?" I look to Hvitserk. "Ivar." He says and then I look to Ivar. "Even I know more anger in fighting will get you killed. Your uncle taught me that." I clench my jaw and watch him. "What? You asked me to watch the boy. That's what I did." He speaks and I roll my eyes. Hvitserk speaks up. "Did something happen to you two in order to hate each other?"

We both look to Hvitserk and then I look to Eerikki. "Nothing happened." He kicks the guy to the ground and then holds his sword out to him. I hum and let out a laugh. I pull my sword from my sheath and step down the steps. Eerikki looks to me and clenches his jaw. "This should be good." Hvitserk says as he leans against the wooden railing.

I hold my sword up and he gets in a stance. "You have more armor than me." I watch him and let out a laugh. "Sometimes that will happen. But alright." I pull at the leather straps, tossing my armor to the ground. The scars on my arm and the tattoo on it lay bare now. I look to him and he angrily strikes at me but I step aside. "Swiftly." I speak and he strikes again but I easily deflect it. "Listen to me. Be swifter. Stop trying to hack at me." He hacks at me again and then shoulders me to the ground. I huff out and look up to him. "You want to play dirty? Okay. Fair." I kick his shin and stand quickly, swiping my sword against his several times.

It's enough to knock his sword from his hand and hold it out to his throat. "Are you done with your tantrum?" I speak and he pushes the blade out of the way, walking towards the entrance to leave. Hvitserk steps in the way and then shakes his head lightly to Eerikki. "I never knew my son would hate me so." I speak as I place my sword into its sheathe. "I hate you because you left me." He says whilst facing Hvitserk. He turns to me and I stand up straight knowing that was a heartbreak in itself.

I clench my jaw. "So what did Oleg tell you? The reason I had to leave?" He looks at me. "That you were a common whore. Left me for your kingdom." Hvitserk grabs him roughly by his shirt and I hold my hand up to stop him. He lets go of him. I look to my son and laugh. It's a genuine one at that. He looks at me like I'm crazy. "You poor thing. Thank you for not telling him." I nod to Ivar. "In honesty." I nod again. "I did it for you. Oleg would've killed you. You know this. You've lived with him. You know what he is capable of. And if I am to one day die. It would be your kingdom." I look to him and he parts his lips. "You were my life. You still are."

I take a breath and bite at my lip. "I have this feeling-... It is almost my time." I look to Eerikki. "And I would want my son to be a good ruler and his people love him." I blink back the tears and he furrows his brows. "Your mother is no whore." Ivar speaks and stands straight. "Many men love her. That is not her fault. She can only control what she does." Ivar nods once and turns around, limping away. Hvitserk looks to me and then pats Eerikki's shoulder. "All she ever does is for people she loves." He speaks softly and then steps away.