A Friend and Foe.

I lay down on the bed, my husband laid beside me in his deep sleep

I lay down on the bed, my husband laid beside me in his deep sleep. I take a breath and close my eyes for a moment, but once I open them it's as if I'm being pulled through my bedding. I struggle and try my best to latch onto the bed but I am easily dropped into a bed of water.

I swim to the top and take a deep breath, pushing my hair back to find Ragnar sat in a boat with a fishing line. "I was wondering when you would come and see me again." He looks to me and smiles. I take deep breath and cough up any water that has found its way into my lungs. I shift and climb into the small boat. "Must it always be water Ragnar?" I look to him and he pulls a fish in. "That is your gateway. So yes." She runs his hand against his shaven head.

"You need to go to Kattegat. Help my son." He speaks after a moment of silence and I look to him. "Bjorn needs no help. He is a smart man." I let out a soft laugh and he just looks to me, grabbing a pitcher of mead from the boat, pouring a horn. He is serious. "I shall leave then. Meet with him. Fight by him." I start to stand to head back to the water. "That Frankish boy." I look to him and tilt my head to the side. "He is a great ruler. You shall see this." He looks to the water and runs his hand in it. "But you. Could be Queen. Of multiple places. But only if you put your mind to it." He taps his temple with his index finger.

"Now you may go." He speaks and nods. "To see you soon." I part my lips for a moment and then nod once. I dive into the water and then wake in the comfort of my own bed, sitting straight up. Jean is stood and getting dressed, looking towards me. "Are you alright my love?" He speaks and steps to me. "Yes. I'm fine." I nod and look to him. "Do you trust me?" I speak to him and furrow my brows. "More than anything." He kneels down and I tuck his hair back. "I feel as if we should go and fight with Bjorn Ironside. My gut is telling me this."

He tilts his head to the side and hums. "Is that in our best interest?" He watches me and furrows his brows. "If Ivar is to continue with his ruling, this could lead to Italia. If we don't assist. I don't think we will ever receive help if we are to ever need it." I run my thumb against his cheek and he kisses my palm. "Then I will follow you my love." He says.

-

As we are sat at the table, we look to each other. Ubbe, Torvi, Alfred. I hold my hands in my lap as they speak about the Danes. I speak up and look to them. "I would like to assist Bjorn." They look to me and Ubbe raises a brow. Jean stands and places a hand to my shoulder. I place my hand on his. "I will accompany my wife. It would be in our best interest to assist in getting Kattegat back in your families hands." He looks to Ubbe and then Ubbe picks up his cup before taking a moment and then sipping it.

"In your state? Are you sure?" Ubbe asks me and I nod once. "It's always great to fight with a burn of anger? Is it not?" I let out a soft laugh and nod once. "But I would need to leave soon. Very very soon. As in today." I look to King Alfred and purse my lips. "I will supply you with whatever you would need Queen Isabella." I nod and smile to him. "Thank you." I nod once and let out a breath.

-

I look to Torvi who helps me into my armor as well as braiding my hair back. She is concentrated on the loops and leather. "Are you sure this is what you want to do?" She asks me and pulls on a strap. I nod and look to the viking ink laid against my skin. "By the Gods." I say lightly to her and she nods. "They shall fight within you." She speaks again and looks as Jean steps in, wearing armor that Alfred has provided. I look to him and he looks over me. "Torvi." He speaks and she places a hand to my cheek, stepping out of the room.

I adjust anything in the mirror that doesn't feel completely right and turn to my husband. He takes a breath and steps infront of me, cupping my cheek. "You look beautiful." He kisses my forehead and then rests his forehead to mine. "The boats are ready." I nod and smile to him. "Then we shall go." He nods as well and we walk together. Ubbe and everyone is waiting as we arrive. I hug Torvi and bow to Alfred who nods. I look to Ubbe who shakes his head. "When we get there you better be alive." He says to me and I let out a light laugh. "If I don't, I'll be feasting in the great hall." I say quietly and he hugs me. I hug back and then step onto the ship. Jean nods to them and follows me. We then sail off.

-

After the long and grueling hours of storms and heavy wind we finally arrive in the morning. Their ships are docks and there are several men by the sand watching. They put their arrows up towards us when we pull the boats in. "Who are you?" One asks and furrows his brows. "Queen Isabella. I am friends of Bjorn Ironside. Here to help fight to get Kattegat back." I jump from the ship and then nod slowly. "Then follow me." Jean stays back in order to gather the men and supplies. I walk with them for awhile until we reach the several tents and men. They all stand as they look towards me. Bjorn and Gunhilde, the same woman to slice my leg, step out of the tent and he furrows his brows towards me.

"What are you doing here Isabella?" He crosses his arms and watches me. "Come to help with the cause." Bjorn looks around and then to me. "By yourself?" I smile to him and laugh. "No. Of course not. They are coming." Then steps out of a tent is Hvitserk. I part my lips and look at him, letting a breath escape. He looks to me and smiles. Not long after Jean finally arrives, looking to me. I look to Jean and purses my lips. This makes Hvitserk realize. He nods as he turns and starts walking away and back into the tent.

"Hello Bjorn Ironside." Jean speaks and Bjorn nods. "Jean." He gestures. "Well, since you are here, let's speak strategy." He nods and we all step to a tent. We sit down and I lean my elbows to the table. "Someone fetch my brother." Bjorn says and Jean stands behind me. Hvitserk steps in and takes a seat in the corner adjacent from me. I glance to him and then down at the table.

-

A few hours after we are sat around a fire, sipping mead. I look over to find Hvitserk leans against a tree. He looks to me and then downs his drink, stepping off. I wait a moment and then place my hand on Jeans arm. "I'll be back." I smiles softly to him and he nods.

I get up and follow Hvitserk as he disappears in a tent again. I step in and he looks back to me, sipping from his cup. "What is it Isabella?" I cross my arms and tilt my head to the side. "We has spoken about this. I told you I would marry someone else." He lets out a laugh and nod. "Yes. I remember clearly." He sips his drink again and then sets it down. He steps to me and looks down at me. "I wanted to be the one to marry you." He purses his lips and then clenches his jaw. "But it's okay. I have someone waiting for me back in Kattegat." He nods and I look at him. "Her name is Thora. And I am to marry her."

He smiles to me and backs to sit on his bed. "Alright." I speak and nod. "As long as you are happy." He looks down and then to the side. "You walk with a limp." He nods slowly. "I was wounded in battle against Harald." I speak and purse my lips. "Bjorn's wife managed it." I pat my leg and nod. "Anything else?" He asks and looks to me.

"I lost my child." I let out a soft breath and he stands again. "I'm sorry.." His cold expressions from before change at this new information. "It's okay. It doesn't matter. I should've known." I look to him and he steps to me, cupping my cheek. "It will be okay." He speaks and presses his lips against my forehead. The tent opens and reveals Jean who looks to us.

"Jean." I speak and he nods once, leaving us. I place my hand on Hvitserks chest. "We shall speak again." I nod and he nods as well. I leave him and quickly step after Jean who is stood in the sand, looking at the ocean. "Jean. It wasn't like that. He said he was sorry about me losing our child. And yes I was speaking to him about us. But I don't feel that way towards him any longer." Jean runs his hand through his hair. "How do I know I won't lose you?" He looks to me and I part my lips. "Because you won't." I speak and furrow my brows.

"You are my love and I am here for you. I swear that." He nods and bites at his lip. "Okay. And I am here for you."