17

LION'S LEGACY
17. Consequences

   After the execution, while the rest of the children walked in the other direction, Annalys grabbed Lyanna by the arm, stopping her before she could leave as well

After the execution, while the rest of the children walked in the other direction, Annalys grabbed Lyanna by the arm, stopping her before she could leave as well. She placed a hand on the girl's shoulder as she looked down at her.

Lyanna tried her hardest not to roll her eyes, having the feeling Annalys was on the verge of giving her some life lesson in preparation for her being queen when her mother died. "Do you know why Father and I had to be the one to execute them and not some royal executioner?" She asked Lyanna, who looked up at her mother and nodded in response.

"The man or woman who passes the sentence should wield the sword," She replied without hesitation, causing Annalys to smile and nod.

"When you're queen, you'll have to do the same. Treason should never go unpunished, no matter who it is," Annalys explained and Lyanna tried her hardest not to snap at her mother for hypocrisy.

"What happens if your own blood has done the treason?" Lyanna suddenly asked Annalys, who frowned when she noticed the almost sarcastic tone her daughter used, "What if your own father, for example, was the one who's commited the treason? Does it still go unpunished then, Mother?"

Annalys gave Lyanna an annoyed look, immediately realizing what was going on, "How did you find out?" She asked her eldest daughter, knowing she was referring to Jaime.

Despite how great it was having a daughter that was so much like her, it came back to bite Annalys in the ass on more occasions than one. Annalys finally felt what other people did when she acted the way she did. Defiant, stubborn, reckless, brave, fearless, and too smart for her own and everyone else's good.

"I'm not deaf, nor am I a fool like the rest of them," Lyanna replied with an answer that was so like Annalys that it practically scared the Lannister woman, "You claim that treason should never go unpunished yet you let your own father get away with treason. Grandfather freed your uncle because he claimed he was the only one who could convince Daenerys to release Lady Jeyne and Torra. Now, Lady Jeyne is dead and both Tyrion and Grandfather are still breathing. They deserve to die."

"No, they don't," Annalys argued, shaking her head while Lyanna scoffed loudly.

"But you just told me treason should never go unpunished, yet both men have committed treason right before your eyes and they still haven't been punished for it," Lyanna retorted with an attitude, much to Annalys' dismay.

"It's different, Lyanna," Annalys told her softly, a pleading look on her face, "You don't understand."

"I think I understand a lot more than you think I do, Mother," Lyanna complained, causing Annalys' eyes to widen slightly.

She began to narrow her eyes at her daughter. Lyanna simply stared back at her and the mother-daughter duo started to have their usual stare down until finally, Annalys gave up. Lyanna looked satisfied while Annalys felt impressed. Annalys' stubbornness always led to her winning stare downs with people like Tywin, yet she met her match when it came to Lyanna.