52

LION'S LEGACY
52. Foreign Princess

    Across the Narrow Sea, in Volantis, at a small palace, Tyrion and Varys stood on a balcony, looking down at Joanna

    Across the Narrow Sea, in Volantis, at a small palace, Tyrion and Varys stood on a balcony, looking down at Joanna. She was sitting near the shore, Dreamer sitting next to her.

"It's been more than three days since I've arrived And I haven't seen her speak once," Varys explained, keeping his eyes locked on the solemn Joanna.

"She spoke to me," Tyrion informed Varys, who slowly turned to him with a questioning look, "News of what happened to her family has reached her. She's heartbroken and distraught?"

   "What happened in King's Landing was worse than what your father did to the Targaryens, what did you expect?" Varys responded in a calm tone, "Margaery Tyrell might be sitting on the Iron Throne now, but she will not keep it for long. Do you understand that? The North, and the Westerlands will rebel any day now, Dorne and the Wildlings along with them. The Wildlings became apart of the Realms of the men because of Annalys. No one but Annalys herself or a child of hers would ever be able to keep them in line. Dorne has become fully loyal to the Crown since Annalys came to power, something no ruler was able to achieve since Elia Martell was murdered. The Martells are bonded by marriage and blood now after Princess Myrcella Martell was born. The Seven Kingdoms need someone stronger than Tommen Baratheon had been and gentler than Stannis. Someone like Annalys who can intimidate the high lords, control the wildlings, keep the loyalty of Dorne, and inspire the people. A ruler that would be loved by millions when they take the Iron Throne, one that could easily obtain a powerful army and has the right family name."

"No," Tyrion argued, realizing Varys meant Joanna as he shook his head, "Not her."

"Her siblings are dead. She is the last living child of Annalys Lannister and Robb Stark. She is the heir to Casterly Rock, Winterfell, and the rightful heir to the Iron Throne." Varys continued to explain, much to Tyrion's dismay.

"She is a child!" Tyrion shouted at Varys, giving him a look of disbelief.

  "As was her mother and father when they became rulers of the North yet the Northerners still followed them into war and hailed them King and Queen in the North," Varys explained, ignoring Tyrion's shouts of protest.

"Annalys and Robb were sixteen," He reminded Varys in a stern tone, "Joanna has just turned fourteen."

"There have been younger monarchs," Varys pointed out, causing Tyrion to give him a frustrated look.

  "Joanna isn't her sister. She's not like the rest of them. She is innocent and pure. She enjoys peace, not war. She'd rather be playing in the gardens than sparring in a courtyard with her brothers and her sisters. If you're asking her to start a war, she won't do it." Tyrion continued to argue while Varys continued arguing back.

"She will." Varys nodded.

"How would you know? You don't even know her," Tyrion snapped at Varys, clearly protective over the girl and refused to have her die in some pointless war.