40

LION'S LEGACY
40. Now It Begins

FLASHFORWARD THREE YEARS LATER

FLASHFORWARD
THREE YEARS LATER

North of King's Landing, at an abandoned tower, Ser Edric Dayne, Ser Edmyn Hightower, and Ser Steffon Oakheart sat outside together in utter silence, preparing for the fight that was yet to come.

From afar, the three members of Annalys' Queensguard noticed riders approaching, ones that were clearly not Lannister loyalists, but members of the rebels.

Ser Steffon had been sharpening his sword when he spotted the riders. He exchanged a brief look with Edmyn and Edric, who nodded in response. They knew what had to be done.

A content look on his face, Edric walked over to where his Queensguard helmet rested on a nearby rock. He picked it up, holding it in his arms as he walked back over to Edmyn and Steffon, who were now standing.

They each prepared to place their helmets on. Usually, it was never required of them, but now, they had to because the upcoming fight would a fight to the death. Either they won and killed the rebels, or what resided inside the tower would die.

The riders soon came to a stop and climbed off their horses, wasting no time moving toward the three members of Annalys' Queensguard. Despite there being nine rebels and only three Queensguard knights, it was obvious the knights had the upper hand.

   Annalys wasn't dumb. She always made sure the best in Westeros was sworn to her. They had no match and could take on three of those men by themselves at ease. Especially Edric, who not only fought better than anyone in Westeros other than his queen, but also fought harder than any other man would because the royal family was practically his family. He had been there since the beginning, unlike most of the people Annalys usually had surrounding her. He'd fight for her and her family until his last breath, even Annalys herself was dead.

And Annalys wasn't a fool. She made sure the two of the best knights on her Queensguard made it out of King's Landing alive before it was too late. Those men were Ser Edric and Ser Edmyn. The only one who had the chance of beating Ser Stefan, however, was Ser Rickard Royce, but he wasn't there.

The three knights stopped when they were standing in front of the nine rebels. Edric stood in front of the two other knights, holding his Queensguard helmet in one hand while sticking Dawn in the ground in front of him as he prepared himself for the upcoming fight.

It was if the history behind the battle at the Tower of Joy was repeating itself, with a Sword of the Morning of House Dayne leading the royalists against the rebels. Leading the members of a deadly Queensguard, at that.

Edric glanced around each of the rebels, recognizing each of them to be members of either the Redwyne, Hightower, or Tyrell family. And despite Edmyn being a Hightower himself, he had been in the same position as Edric and Jeyne Crakehall when they met Annalys. They were outcasts to their families and were cast out early on in their lives, which caused them to soon find their way to Annalys in the first place.