44

LION'S LEGACY
44. Combat

     Just before the trial, Lyanna was standing in the underground tunnels of the Keep

     Just before the trial, Lyanna was standing in the underground tunnels of the Keep. Torra stood with her, both of them carrying swords as they sparred with each other.

They stopped briefly and Torra found herself giving Lyanna a concerned look. "Where are you, Lyanna?" She suddenly asked, causing Lyanna to turn to her.

"What?" She asked, a puzzled look on her face, "What do you mean?"

"Clearly, you are not here," She answered, taking a step toward her younger sister, "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing," Lyanna lied, shaking her head in response.

"You and I both know it isn't nothing. Is it about the trial?" Torra asked her younger sister in concern.

"Do you think I'm doing the right thing?" Lyanna suddenly asked, giving Torra an uneasy look.

"I'm not the person you should be asking," Torra argued, shaking her head in disapproval.

"You are. I know that you'd never lie to me," Lyanna paused, letting out a small sigh in defeat, "And believe it or not, I trust you more than anyone. I trust that you'll tell me if I'm being a fool for doing this."

"I believe you're free to make your own mistakes, but you must know that there is a chance you will not survive this, Lyanna. You could die," Torra explained, an uneasy look on her face.

"Do you think I'm afraid of dying?" She questioned, sighing in frustration, "I may be only thirteen, but Mother has raised each of us not to fear what comes after death. If I die, I die. At least I'll know that I died for a cause I believe in."

After hearing her words, Torra began to smile, proud of Lyanna's response.

"You want my advice? I think you're doing the right thing. Not because I believe it's the right thing to do, but because I know you're doing this because you want to. You know you have a chance of dying and you do not care. I think you should do it." Torra explained, oblivious to the real reason Annalys didn't want Lyanna to fight.

"If I win, it means I've killed someone," Lyanna admitted, a hint of fear in her eyes.

"It does," Torra replied, nodding her head in confirmation.

"Have you ever killed someone?" Lyanna found herself asking Torra.

It was as though she didn't know who she was talking to. At just ten years old, Lyanna's father had witnessed Torra throw a Thenn off the ship sailing them out of Hardhome, just because she grew tired of him.

Seeing Torra nod her head, Lyanna felt uneasy. "How many?" Lyanna found herself asking Torra, who knew that was the last thing Lyanna would want to her.