23

LION'S LEGACY
23. Infected

 Infected

Hours later, after making sure their children were secured in their rooms, away from the sickness, Robb made his way into the Great Hall accompanied by Brienne and Loras Tyrell.

Annalys was sitting on the Iron Throne while Edric and Jaime stood closest to her. However, Ser Edmyn Hightower, Ser Rickard Royce, and Ser Steffon Oakheart stood nearby as well, guarding their Queen.

After Robb took his seat next to Annalys, the woman let out a large sigh. "Here we are," She spoke up in a calm tone, causing Robb to turn to her with an uneasy, "Facing a threat we have no idea how to stop or deal with."

"We'll get through this, Annalys," Robb replied confidently, much to her dismay, "I know it. No one has been in--"

Before Robb could finish his sentence, the duo were cut off by instruments playing a mournful and somber tune from afar, which caused him to frown in concern while Annalys felt uneasy.

"What is that?" Robb asked Annalys in concern, turning to look at his wife, "Why are they playing music?"

"It's a signal," Annalys informed Robb, looking to be deeply uneasy, "To alert everyone that someone has fallen Ill. It's begun."

Annalys stood up slightly, raising her hand to alert Ser Steffon to light the braziers that had been placed in the great hall. He nodded, he, Loras, and Edmyn wasting no time lighting the braziers with torches.

"Less than half a day since we announced the threat," Robb commented, looking deeply worried, "We were careful. No one entered this castle after you, Lyanna, Edric, and Jaime. How could it have been brought in?"

Annalys sighed, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't know," She admitted, but deep down, a part of her wondered if it was possible for the four of them to carry the disease and spread it to people, yet show no symptoms or signs of infections of their own.

Was that possible? She had no clue. She presumed that if she were to tell someone of what she believed to be the cause they'd call her a fool. But did she have a point?

"More will follow," Robb pointed out, causing Annalys to sigh in response.

"The airs near us will be burned clean with the fire," Annalys informed Robb as pointed to the lit braziers, causing her husband to turn to her with a puzzled look, "I was told the High Septon did it during the last outbreak of Winter Fever and it worked."

Just then, Ser Davos and Qyburn entered the Great Hall and began to approach their king and queen, only to be stopped by the Kingsguard.

"It's alright," Annalys spoke up in a calm tone, "Let them through."

Ser Davos sighed, exchanging a look with Qyburn before stepping forward alongside him. "Who is it?" Robb asked the men in concern, "Who has fallen ill?"