60

LION'S LEGACY
60. Withchild

          In their tent, Joanna sat with Najo in front of the fire

In their tent, Joanna sat with Najo in front of the fire. She was holding his arakh in her hand, eyeing it closely. It took a lot of convincing for him to let her hold it, but soon enough, Joanna finally succeeded in getting her way, just as she always did.

"For a man on horseback, a curved blade is a great weapon to use, easier to handle," Joanna explained, speaking in Dothraki as she always seemed to be doing lately.

Najo watched her closely, a small smile on his face as he watched her handle the blade as if she knew how to use it.

Perhaps she did and he didn't know it.

After all, Joanna knew how to use swords, bows, and daggers like her siblings. She just didn't like using them.

"It's a good weapon for your people to use," Joanna continued on, smiling slightly when she noticed the way her husband eyed her.

"Our people," Najo corrected her and Joanna smiled softly, nodding her head.

"Yes, our people," Joanna repeated after him before continuing on with her lesson, "However, for a man in full..." She trailed off, not knowing the word for armor in Dothraki, causing her to say it in the common tongue before continuing to speak Dothraki once more, "armor, the arakh won't get through the steel. That's where the long sword has an advantage in a fight. Designed for piercing it."

She bent forward, picking the sword up off the ground, the same sword Najo had gifted her as a reminder of her homeland. He had been giving her many gifts lately and Joanna couldn't understand why.

It had all started on the night when she dominated him in bed for the first time, something he clearly enjoyed, despite it not being the Dothraki way.

However, just as Joanna had told him on that night, if he wanted the Dothraki way, he wouldn't have married her.

She picked it up the sword, pressing the tip of the sharp sword against the palm of her hand. She felt the blade beginning to stab into her, but showed no reaction to it.

"Dothraki don't wear steel dresses," Najo complained as Joanna handed his back his arakh.

"Armor," Joanna corrected him without hesitation, eying the sword she held, "It's called 'Armor'."

"Armor," Najo repeated after her before beginning to speak Dothraki once more, "It makes a man slow."

"Perhaps, but it will keep you alive," Joanna pointed out and Najo gave her an annoyed look, "What? It is known. Maybe not here, but in my homeland it is."

Najo simply nodded before continuing on with his point. "My father taught me everything I know before he traveled across the poison water with Daenerys Targaryan and the other men of the Khalasar. He taught me how to fight. He taught me that speed defeats size."