63

LION'S LEGACY
63. The Lioness and the Kraken

      At his war camp, Eddard walked through, each man he passed greeting him warmly

  At his war camp, Eddard walked through, each man he passed greeting him warmly. He greeted them back, sending each of them a warm smile.

He suddenly stopped, however, as his eyes wandered over to where Allyria sat alone, writing a letter. He took a deep breath, just before making his way over to the Dornish girl.

"Lady Allyria," He called out, finding himself addressing her with formalities now that their journey through the Riverlands alone together was now over.

Allyria turned to Eddard slightly. She gradually began to smile and rose from her seat, politely bowing her head. "Prince Eddard." She greeted him happily, clearly glad to see them.

"It's relief to see you in such hard times," Eddard admitted, earning an amused smile from Allyria.

"Hard times, you say?" Allyria raised a skeptical brow at Eddard, "I could've sworn you've already won every battle you've fought in."

"You know what I mean," Eddard complained, smiling as well, "But what can I say? I am my father's son, and my mother's. I suppose winning battles is simply in the blood."

Hearing the mention of Annalys, Allyria began to tense up, recalling what had occurred in the Riverlands months before.

"Are you alright, my lady?" Eddard found himself asking, noticing how Allyria's expression had completely changed.

"I'm fine," Allyria replied quickly, but it was obvious he didn't believe her, what with the look she was receiving, "I'm fine, really."

Eddard forced himself to smile, nodding his head in response. He glanced around, just before looking at Allyria once more. "Quite a pretty spot, don't you think?"

"Indeed," Allyria replied calmly, "Will we be here long?"

"I haven't the slightest clue," Eddard confessed and just as it was about to become quiet between them, he decided to speak up, "Perhaps you'd join me for a walk, my lady. If you've got time, of course. If you don't, it's fine, I would understand--"

Before Eddard could finish his suggestion, Olyvar began to walk toward them. "Ned," He called out, causing the Stark boy to sigh in defeat before he turned to look at his brother.

"Olyvar," Eddard responded, sounding annoyed about his brother's intrusion.

Olyvar glanced between Eddard and Allyria, realizing he was interrupting something. And as much as he wanted to feel guilty, he knew what he had to say was more important.

Eddard sighed in defeat, realizing that both Olyvar and Allyria were waiting to be introduced to each other. "Allyria, this is my brother Olyvar. Olyvar, this is Allyria. She's been helping with the wounded."