39

LION'S LEGACY
39. Princess Across The Sea

FLASHFORWARDFOUR YEARS LATER

FLASHFORWARD
FOUR YEARS LATER

  In Pentos, Joanna sat a table, silent and solemn. Her eyes were red and puffy, seeing as though she had been crying the entire night after news of what was happening across the Narrow Sea reached her.

  Two handmaidens stood next to her, attempting to feed her food. However, Joanna couldn't bear to eat as she imagined what had happened to her siblings.

Soon enough, Tyrion walked over, a saddened look appearing on his face at the sight of his niece refusing to eat. "Princess, you must eat," He tried to encourage the girl, who was quick to argue.

"I don't need to do anything I don't want to do," Joanna argued, her tone becoming low and threatening.

Tyrion had noticed that since arriving in Pentos with her. She was becoming more and more cold as each day passed, no longer the bright and lively girl she once was. But who would she be after everything she had gone through?

Tyrion sighed, turning to look at the two handmaidens. "I'd like a moment with my niece," He insisted and the two women nodded, just before walking off.

He took his seat beside the thirteen-year-old girl, who seemed to be trying her hardest not to cry.

"I can't let you starve, Joanna," Tyrion complained in a sincere tone, "I promised that I would protect you."

"Promise to who? My mother?" She questioned, letting out a large scoff.

   She turned to look at him, tears threatening to spill from her green eyes, the ones that were so much like her mother's. "Do you know what they did to my brother?" Joanna questioned Tyrion in a cold tone, "I was forced to watch as they stabbed him four times. I watched as my mother screamed and attempted to help him, but was dragged away before she could. I was nearly raped before that man saved me. Torra saved me as well. She risked her life for mine and now, she's most likely dead."

"Joanna--" He began to say, only to get cut off.

"Do you know what I'm hearing now that I'm across the Narrow Sea?" She asked him, venom laced in her tone of voice, "They say they killed my twin brother and sewed his direwolf's head onto his body. They say that little Edric was killed in the same fashion that Elia Martell's children were killed all those years ago. They say my mother was raped right before my father's eyes and he was left unable to help her. They say they cut her throat to the bone and then left her body to rot on the walls of the Red Keep. They say my father was beheaded after being forced to witness it all."

Tyrion sighed, genuine tears beginning to form in his eyes at the thought. He had no clue if any of it was true. After all, they were across the Narrow Sea. They had no idea what happened to Joanna's family. Were they dead or were they alive, on the run from the family that overthrew them?