35

LION'S LEGACY
35. Favoritism

   That same day, as snow unexpectedly fell from the sky, Annalys and Joanna returned from riding Rhaegal through the Crownlands

That same day, as snow unexpectedly fell from the sky, Annalys and Joanna returned from riding Rhaegal through the Crownlands. They landed in the dragonpits and Annalys slid off the green dragon, holding Joanna in her arms.

Once landing on the ground, the mother-daughter duo moved toward Rhaegal's face, petting him. Joanna giggled as Rhaegal's large snout nudged her shoulder.

"Mother, what will become of me when I am older?" Joanna found herself asking her mother, looking up at the Lannister woman.

"What do you mean, my love?" Annalys questioned, turning to look at her daughter with a deeply puzzled look.

"Well, Torrhen claims he wants to become a knight of the Queensguard and Olyvar says he wants to join the Night's Watch," Joanna began to explain, causing Annalys to frown in concern since she hadn't known that before, "Eddard will be Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North. Lyanna will be Queen and Lady of Casterly Rock. Edric is just a baby and Rickard will most likely have Storm's End or Dragonstone. But what will I be?"

"Well, firstly, you'll be a princess, just as you've always been," Annalys informed Joanna, kneeling in front of her youngest daughter as she smiled at her, "You are the daughter of the two most powerful people in Westeros. You were born looking just like me with your golden locks and green eyes. You will grow up to be one of the most beautiful women in Westeros. Many lords will want your hand in marriage. They'll come to the Red Keep to propose marriage and I will allow you to meet each and every one of them yourself. When you find one that you like, you may marry him if you'd like. You'll help your husband rule his castle. You will be the mother to lords, knights, and princes."

"What if I want my own castle, what if I don't want to be just the wife of some highborn lord?" Joanna found herself asking out of curiosity, "What if I want to rule a castle or a holdfast in my own right?"

"Then, that is what you'll do, my love. You were born in a time where your father and I were at our strongest. We've faced our threats. Now, all we must worry about in the coming years is making sure our children grow up to be happy. And if ruling a castle on your own is what you want, then that is what you'll have." Annalys explained, a large smile on her face.

Joanna smiled, happy with her mother's response.

"Now, we must go. Your father, your sister, and your brothers will be returning soon. We shall be there to greet them when they arrive." Annalys continued on and Joanna nodded, holding her mother's hand as they walked out of the dragonpits.

____

Later on that day, Annalys was sitting in her chambers at her desk. Joanna was sitting on a chair next to her. Robb was standing off to the side while Lyanna, Torrhen, Rickard, Eddard, and Olyvar sat in front of their mother, who looked anything but happy about how each of them looked.