Prologue

We knew there would only be a few more moments before he returned home. We stood in the kitchen together for the last time.

"It will be fine, Tobias." I hoped my words would convince him. "It's only for two years, I'll survive." I sounded so sure of myself when really I knew the next two years would be hell.

"No, I can't just leave you alone with him". He paused. "I'm going to stay." My older brother placed his hands on each side of my arms like he always did. I knew what I had to say next would have to convince him.

"Tobias" I was tired of this back and forth. "I don't plan on staying in this shithole any longer than I have too. You can't waste your opportunity because I won't." I straightened up and look at him in the deep blue eyes. "I'm stronger than you think, I won't let him break me." My voice carried the weight of reason. Tobias pulled me closer into an embrace and I knew he had accepted that he would have to leave me.

"Theo" he spoke into my hair. "Two years." He paused. "I'm leaving you with him" his tone snarled at the implication of our father.

"You're not leaving me Tobias." I pulled away and look him in the eyes. "You're getting out of here. You're getting away from him." I hugged my brother for the last time. That same day during the choosing ceremony he defected to Dauntless leaving Abnegation behind.

My father viewed this as an ultimate betrayal and took his frustration out on me for the next two years. I counted the days until it was my choosing ceremony, until I could leave and be back with my brother.

**********

Over the past few weeks my father had been kinder in hopes I would stay, yet these last few nights he showed his true self again. As Abnegation I was supposed to be selfless and respectful, which really meant submissive. I was never meant for this life or faction. I was too blunt or too impulsive. I was always told to be quiet or mind my manners. Today is the day I take my aptitude test.

"Here let us help you" Caleb Prior and I ran over to help an elderly woman with her groceries.

"I'll take that" I carried the bags into a neighboring house and Beatrice carried the last of the bags. We continued on our way to school and the siblings bickered about helping the woman.

"It might be easy for you" Beatrice rebutted.

"What do you think Theodora?" I popped my head up at the mention of my name.

"It's not something that is innate in everyone Caleb. I didn't help because I wanted to, I helped because it what is expected of me." I smoothed out my grey skirt as we walked into the school's main hall. "You're a better person than I am"

"I don't believe that, you are a good person Theodora Eaton." Caleb leaned in and gave me a small peck on the cheek. "I'll see you later." Caleb walked away leaving Beatrice and I.

"He loves you." Beatrice said finally as we reached our classroom.

"I know, and I care for him too" I looked outside the window as the train made its way down the tracks.

"But you do you love him?" Beatrice searched my face.

"One thing at a time Beatrice." I left her in the hallway watching Dauntless born jump out of the moving train.

**********

"What do you mean I'm divergent? I don't understand, how can I be more than one faction?" I crossed my arms.

"Look" she whispered harshly. "You were put through the simulation and as you make choices it eliminates one faction. Your choices and how you progress through the simulation had you sorted into four factions. In other words, it didn't work on you." She took a long pause and leaned forward keeping her voice barely above a whisper. "Divergence is a dangerous thing. People see it as a threat." She started to push me out of the room. "Tell no one. Ever." and shut the door. I walked home confused, but it didn't matter I knew what I was choosing tomorrow. I was going to follow my brother into dauntless, and there was no test or person to make me choose otherwise.