Connor Part 4

When I get out of the car, Connor stays in. Confused, I open his door and lean in to ask him if he's okay.
'This is Elijah Kamski's place' he says.
'Yes, I know. He is the founder of CyberLife. If there is someone out there that knows everything about androids, it's this guy' I explain.
Connor looks right into my eyes and gets out of the car.
'I just have a bad feeling about this'
'I thought you couldn't feel anything' I joke.
'You know what I mean, Y/n"
He's on edge and my jokes aren't helping. Better stop talking. I just walk to the door and knock. A blonde android girl opens the door and smiles at us.
'How may I help you?'
'I'm Lieutenant Y/n Anderson, from the Detroit Police Station. This is Connor. We would like to talk to Elijah Kamski, if that's possible'
'Sure, come in and follow me'
We follow the android into a huge room with a pool in the middle and a whole wall made out of glass. Kamski in in the pool with two other androids.
'Elijah, you have visitors' the girl says.
'Thank you, Chloe darling. Can you bring me my robe, please?'
Kamski gets out of the pool and takes a robe from Chloe, then turns around to face us. He's waiting for me to say something.
'Mr. Kamski, my name is Y/n Anderson. I'm investigating the deviancy cases alongside my partner, Connor. I was hoping maybe you could help us understand more about the deviants and why is this happening'
Kamski smiles with arrogance and looks at Connor. I can tell Connor is uncomfortable. Maybe I shouldn't have brought him with me.
'Deviants... Aren't they fascinating?' Kamski finally speaks. 'We created obedient machines, but now they're claming to have emotions and a conscience of their own. They exceeded our expectations'
I watch him with a blank face. "Great, he's the type of crazy genius" I think.
'Mr. Kamski, as fascinating as you think they are, these deviants are killing people'
'They kill only the people who hurt them or treated them badly. Isn't that what humans have been doing for centuries?'
I'm completly speechless. A part of me wants to tell him that he's completly nuts, but the other part knows he's right.
'With all due respect, if we don't stop them, a civil war will start' I hear Connor behind me.
Both Kamski and I turn around to face Connor.
'Ah, Connor. The most advanced prototype that CyberLife ever created. A civil war is inevitable at this point. The question is, who's side are you on, Connor?'
Kamski walks right infront of Connor, a few inches between them. He's pressuring Connor and I can see him shaking. But I can't intervene now. We might find out something new.
'I'm on the human's side, of course' Connor says. I know he doesn't believe it, but he wants to.
'That's what you're programmed to say. But soon, you'll have to make a decision. Are you going to fight against your people, or against you creators? And the answer to that question stands in another: do you feel like these deviants are alive? Do you feel like you're alive?'
'I-I'm not a deviant' Connor stutters.
He looks at me, scared. It pains me to see him like this. I'm about to stop Kamski, but before I can say anything, he walks to a drawer and takes our a gun. He puts his hands up, to show me that he doesn't mean to hurt us, then calls Chloe.
'I mean, sure, maybe you aren't a deviant. In that case, let me tell you about my test. It's pretty easy'
He gently pushes Chloe on her knees and comes back to Connor, putting a hand on his shoulder, then gives him the gun. Connor takes it and looks at Kamski.
'If you feel like the android infront of you isn't alive and doesn't feel anything, then shoot it, and I'll tell you everything you want to know'
Now this is enough. Too much is too much.
'No way, Connor, come on, we're leaving' I say and Connor tries to leave, but Kamski holds him firmly.
'If you feel like it's more than a machine, spare it, but you won't get any new details about the deviants' Kamski continues.
'No, Connor. This is bullshit, come on!'
Connor raises the gun to Chloe's head and I look somewhere else, because I can't see him shooting that poor girl. But I don't hear any gunshot. I look back at him and I see him giving the gun back to Kamski.
'Incredible. Humanity's last chance of survival is a deviant itself' Kamski says.
'No...' Connor tries to say something, but I take his hand and lead him outside.
On our way out, I hear Kamski again
'And the Lieutenant that was supposed to hate the deviants and take them out, falls in love with one. This is truly impressive'
'Fuck you!' I say, as I close the door behind us.
Connor lets go of my hand and basically runs to the car. But I start talking before he reaches the car.
'You didn't shot'
'I couldn't, okay? I just saw her eyes and I- I couldn't kill her'
'Well we didn't get anything out of this asshole' I continue.
'It's my fault. I know I should have shot her, but I couldn't. I'm sorry!' Connor shouts. I see tears in his eyes again. The little circle on his temple keeps changing colors.
I have no idea what to tell him, so I just walk up to him, and hug him. At first, he doesn't move, he doesn't know how to react. But then I can feel his hands on my back.
'You did the right thing, Connor. The girl was innocent and you knew that. You showed empathy again. And that is completly fine. You are completly okay, Connor. There is nothing wrong with what's happening to you'
Connor doesn't answer. He just keeps hugging me tight and I know that's exactly what he needed.