Joshua Washington - Part 7

"That's her!" Josh shouts, staring at the monitor. "It's Hannah" he continues, making you shiver.
The images on the computer are moving, showing a huge Wendigo outside the lab, sniffing around. You don't actually pay attention to the live recording from the cameras, the only thing you hear and you can concentrate on is Josh's hopeful, yet scared voice.
"How can you know for sure?" Alice asks, raising an eyebrow.
Crossing your arms to stop yourself from shivering, you look at your friends. You don't actually care about the answer to that question. If Josh says that Wendigo is Hannah, then you believe him. You wanted more Wendigos to heal, here is your chance.
"I-I just feel it" he answers, seemingly trying to convince himself too.
The confusion and tension in the room give you a headache. You love both Alice and Josh, but their conversations can be so stupid sometimes.
"Does it matter?" you interrupt them. "We've been looking for some Wendigos to catch for weeks. Now we have one in front of our door."
They both nod, understanding your point of view and agreeing with it.
"Then we go out for a hunt!" Alice leaves the room to let everyone know that we are going to need two more volunteers to catch the creature.
Left alone in the room with Josh, you just turn around, trying not to look in his eyes. You don't know why for sure, but you feel like you were unfair towards him by not being more excited by the possibility of actually healing his sister.
"I'm sorry for being insensitive" you randomly say, making the atmosphere even weirder. "I'm not the best at showing affection. No one taught me how to do that..." you add, sadness taking over you.
He walks closer to you, careful not to stress you out. His eyes are understanding, sympathetic.
"I know" he simply says. "But I can show you."
"You know?" You ask, confused.
You never told him anything regarding your childhood, your abusive parents, the way they treated you as a way to achieve money and fame, about how they only saw you as a title in the news. "The genius child and her amazingly supportive parents". Sometimes you could actually feel them radiating that wish. You wished you were a normal kid.
"I do... It might sound really fucked up and scary, but I promise you I didn't stalk you."
You think you already know what he's about to say, but you smile encouragingly, wanting to hear him say it.
"I had dreams about your childhood. It's like-like I am there. I can't touch anything and no one hears me, but I can walk around, I can see and hear everything. I know how they only treated you like an object, like a special 'thing' to get fame from, Y/n" he explains, carefully choosing his words so he doesn't scare you.
You take his cold hands into yours, to assure him that you believe him.
"I had dreams too..."
His eyes widen in confusion and it feels like you're getting electrocuted. Never in your life have you thought that you will have to admit to someone that you had dream-visions about their past.
"When Hannah took you, when the girls fell from the cliff, I saw it all..." you continue, deciding not to tell him that during the last weeks you also saw snippets of his therapy sessions and his diagnosis.
"Does that mean...." Josh finally says.
"That we were meant to meet?" You finish his sentence. He nods so you ad: "As stupid as it may sound, I think we're somehow connected."
He rests a hand on your cheek and you give in to his touch, enjoying it. A quirky, yet childish smile forms on his lips sending waves of warmth all over your body. Josh pulls you closer by moving his other hand on your hips, while you rest both your hands behing his neck. Before he kisses you, you hear him whisper:
"I felt the connection before I knew about the dreams."
You prepare to break the kiss only to comment on his cheesy line, but James, one of the scientists, interrupts your moment before you get the chance.
"Uh... I'm sorry, miss! I was sent to let you know that we're going out to get the subject" James says, uncomfortably looking at the floor.
Josh moves further from you, leaving you cold, like something vital was taken away from you by force.
"T-thank you, James" you say, nodding at him so he knows he can leave.
You take your jacket and your flamethrower - which was Josh's idea - and you walk towards the exist, struggling to hold the weapon. Josh laughs, hurrying to help you. He takes the flamethrower from you, despite your protests, relieving you of the weight.
"I'll help you, 'miss'" he states, jokingly.
Crossing your arms and furrowing your brows you stop walking and Josh stops too, only to see your eyes full of anger. He smiles at you, kissing your forehead and all your anger melts away.
"You're lucky you're cute" you say.

-

The snow creaks under your boots and the snowflakes cover your (your hair colour) hair, the wind swirls around you wanting you to obey it. But you're not cold. The adrenaline of having another huge Wendigo in front of you blocks the cold. It also stops you from hearing anything, even though you can see everyone's lips moving and you know that they're yelling at you to move away. The Wendigo's running towards you at an inhuman speed, but you're tired. After one hour of running around, trying to immobilize the creature to take it inside the lab, you feel tired. All you can do is look at Josh, Alice and the other two guys that volunteered to join you. One of the guys is unconscious, after the Wendigo threw him to a tree like he was nothing but a puppet.
You feel scared. At least, that's how you think fear feels like, a bit of pressure on your chest, a little bit of dizziness taking over your head, making your arms and feet feel heavy, like they're about to detach from your body and fall to the ground or simply drag you to the ground with them.
Something warm is leaking down your temple, to your jaw and chin. You only realize that it's blood when the deep, dark red color stains the white, glowing snow.
The ground's shaking under your feet with every step the Wendigo takes closer to you. You can feel the vibrations. But all you can hear is your own voice, ringing in your head.
"All the studies, that huge brain inside of your fucking head, that massive IQ of yours, and you're still uncapable of realizing that Wendigos are dangerous creatures and you shouldn't trust them so easily. Move, for fuck's sake, Y/n!"
But you don't take another step. Everything moves in slowmotion, but this time you don't close your eyes, like you did in your dream. So you see Josh running towards you, terrified.
"Hannah, please don't!" he yells, trying to reach his sister, to touch her, to reunite with her.
And to your surprise, the Wendigo stops.