Arthur Pendragon (Merlin) - Part 1

You are Arthur's secret girlfriend, since his father, the King, would never allow the Prince of Camelot to date a mere servant of the castle.
The King sends Arthur in a mission one day and you have the feeling that something bad will happen, so you can't stop thinking about him.

"Just promise me that you'll be careful" you say, caressing his cheeks.
"You need to relax, my love, nothing will happen to me" he assures you, while holding you against a wall, in the darkness, so no one can see the two of you.
You have to admit, keeping your relationship a secret is actually a turn on factor. You both enjoy the adrenaline you feel when you get to spend some time together.
Arthur approaches you, his hands slowly pushing your messy hair from your face, and he kisses you. It's a sweet kiss. You know that he isn't worried. Not like you. He knows that everything will be fine.
He sees the fear in your eyes when he steps back.
"I have a really bad feeling, Arthur. Please, don't go! Talk to your father, ask him to send someone else" you plead.
"Y/n, you know he can't send anyone else. It's my duty to look after Camelot. Aything that might represent a danger to the kingdom is my responsability" he explains, holding your hand. "And Lancelot will join me, if it makes you feel any better" he smiles.
You smile too. It does make you feel better. Sir Lancelot would do anything to protect Arthur and he isn't as impulsive as Arthur.
"What about Merlin?" you ask.
He rolls his eyes and you laugh.
"Of course Merlin's coming too. Who will carry my stuff if not him?"
"You know, you could be a little bit nicer to him. He actually cares about you"
He smiles again and he kisses you again.
"See, that's why I love you so much. You always see the best in people" he says.
You get on your tips to reach his lips and take a peck of them.
"Y/n! Where the hell has she gone again? I need her to help me and she leaves me alone"
You hear Gwen's -another servant of the castle- voice calling for you. You look at Arthur, sadness in your eyes. You forgot about the chores Gwen asked you to take care of.
"Go, I stole you from your work" Arthur says, letting go of you.
You keep looking at him, not wanting to go, because this is probably the last time you get to see him before he leaves for the mission.
"Promise me you'll be careful, Arthur! I have no idea what I'll do if something happens to you"
"I promise you I'll be safe, my love."
He plants a kiss on your cheek and you leave, your heart aching, something heavy pressing on your chest.
"There you are!" Gwen shouts when she sees you. "Where have you been?"
"I'm sorry, Merlin asked me to help him get ready for the travel" you explain.
You again feel so grateful for having Merlin as your friend and for him knowing about your secret relationship, because he always covers up for you. He is an amazing friend.
"Heavens... I didn't know servants needed their own servants" Gwen comments.
You keep your mouth shut, not daring to say a word. Gwen can be a really scary person when she's angry. She looks back at you, analyzing you, and you notice that your clothes are ruffled and you pray in your mind that she won't ask what happened to them. And she doesn't.
"You better get the Prince's horse ready for his mission. They're leaving at noon. Come on!" Gwen tells you.
You nod and run to the horse stable, looking for Arthur's white horse.
-
Everyone came in front of the castle to wish Arthur, Lancelot and Merlin a safe journey. Arthur and the King are talking to each other, while Lancelot is taking his last supplies from Gwen.
Since Lancelot is not part of the royal family, his and Gwen's relationship doesn't have to be kept far from everyone's eyes. At first you didn't really care about it, but now there are moments when you feel jealous of them.
"That will be you and Arthur at some point" Merlin says from behind you.
You smile and turn around to face him.
"We're happy with our little secret" you explain.
"Is that the lie you both tell yourselves? I can see the little flame in your eyes when you're in public and you can't touch each other."
"Shut up!" you push him and he laughs, pulling you into a hug.
"Just be careful, idiot. And look after the other idiot too, don't let his 'bravery' get all of you killed" you add.
He nods and gets back to his stuff when you hear Arthur asking for a maid's attendance.
"Maid! I need some help here!"
You almost run towards him, but you stop yourself, letting another maid go instead, because you're not sure it would be a wise move for you to go.
Another maid rushes to him, but he stops her, gesturing in your way.
"No, no, you were doing something. The lady back there isn't busy doing anything. You, come here!" he looks right into your eyes and you force yourself to move.
"What the hell are you doing?" you whisper when you get to him.
"The saddle isn't properly fixed" he says, but then whispers too: "I just wanted to tell you I love you one more time before I leave."
You pretend to look at the saddle on his horse and to 'fix' it.
"You're out of your mind" you answer. "But I love you too."
"Thank you, maid" Arthur speaks loudly again and you move away from the horse, letting him get on it.
As the three men ride their horses through the gates of Camelot, you see Arthur looking back at you one more time, smiling to assure you that everything will be fine.
And you wish that his smile and his words would help you relax at least a little bit. But they don't. The fear is still there.

*Author's note*
MAN OH MAN i remember how much i loved writing this. My grandma used to read me stories about King Arthur, The Knights of the Round Table and Camelot. This TV series means so much to me and, in my heart, Arthur Pendragon actually existed. He isn't just a legend, because even legends have a bit of truth in them. He is important to me and listening to stories about him formed me and played a crucial role in turning me into the woman I am today.