Chapter 27

1-800-273-8255 - Logic ft Khalid and Alessia Cara

This song really sets the mood. I really love this song.

Third person POV

It was late yet sleep failed Evernly once again. The nightmares were back in full force. By the passing days, she slept even less.

Each day, she felt the air become heavier not making it easy for her to breathe. The anxiety pills weren't working anymore.

She felt as if the ground was drowning her, she felt like she was walking on quicksand.

She walked downstairs to make herself coffee. She didn't think she'd be embush by her brother and forced into interrogation.

"There's a difference between being fine and wanting to be fine." Sage pointed out.

Sage's voice was soft but Evernly could hear the pain under the calmness of his voice. It broke her heart a little more knowing that she's the reason for his pain.

"God knows how much I want you to be fine but the truth is you're not." He continued, defeat knocking at the door.

"I'm happy you have friends now. I'm happy you're finally socialising but you're breaking inside."

Evernly tried with all her might to be normal, to be a teenager. Even though she doesn't want to admit it but she is indeed sinking.

She might be happy with her friends but she's sinking deeper and she's breaking.

"You don't think I see it but I do. I'm your brother. You don't even write to me anymore."

Evernly hasn't said a word since Sage started talking. She didn't know how to answer to her brother's true accusations.

She use to write letters to tell Sage what she couldn't say out loud. It was their thing. Sage would know how to console her.

Even though her letters were vague and never really explained what brought her to this state but with each letter he started to understand. He started to get an idea of what really happened to her.

God, he really wanted to confront her and confirm his suspension but he was afraid she'd shut him out.

"When you stopped writing I thought it was because you're getting better and for a while I was convinced you were okay. But okay isn't fine. I'm afraid you're slipping away from my fingers. I'm scared I'll loose you to your depression." His voice was so low. He wasn't aware that he said all that aloud.

He was thinking out loud, unaware that he was voicing his fears out loud. Evernly's heart broke at the sight of her broken little brother.

She tried everyday to be better, to see the light and move past her depression.

"Sage I will be fine." For the first time Evernly spoke. She wanted to comfort her little brother.

"No you will not. Not without proper treatment at least." Sage almost snapped.

It frustrated him that he could loose his only family because in this world they only have each other. It filled him with uncomfortable rage that Evernly thought this was going to go away.